 Trains / 10936
Re: New Train - KT203 - Opening the box - first impressions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 01:09:22 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton writes:
In lugnet.trains, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
http://www.wilkesworld.co.uk/lego/kt203_first_impressions.htm

For all of you dying to know how the new trains are packaged, here are a few
photos of the contents.

I havent had time to make it up yet
Will have to wait till tonight

regards
lawrence

Well, I've got KT204 - the green large one with a tender.  The instructions
come in the separate tender / engine boxes, and mine show blue bricks as
well, despite it being a green engine.  I presume the blue one was the
original design.  (Note: must have a close look at the S@H website, and see
if the blue engine pictures are the only ones that don't look like they've
been re-coloured).

I wonder it thats why the site says backordered, will deliver on March 25?
I'm ordering grey soon!
Josh

The large engine instruction book contains instructions for both the tender
and closed rear engines, and you can build either - I just did.  If you
build the closed rear one, it includes some of the coloured bricks which
would otherwise go in the tender.

Whichever you build, you have a few parts specific to the other left over.
In the case of the closed rear engine, that's a pair of 1x6x1 black arches
and a few ordinary bricks left.  In the case of the tender engine, that's
the 2x1x3 panels and the 2x1x3 inverted buttress slopes from the coal scuttle.

The bag of coloured bricks contains some black ones too, including the front
dish.  I presume these are (some of?) the parts common to both the large and
small engines.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope of being able to build the
small engine from the large one.  Someone would need to buy both to get both
sets of instructions to be sure though.

Oh - one other thing.  Depending which of the large engines you make, the
sticker for the controls goes on a different brick.  For the closed rear
engine, it goes on a coloured 1x6, but it goes on a 2x6 on the tender engine
(the 1x6 then goes in the tender).  All the other stickers go on the same
bricks.

It looks good when made up - and you don't really notice the bogeys
underneath.  That, and it's well worth the money if only for train parts.

Now, if all the parts are the same, I'm just wondering why it costs more to
add a tender to the small engine than to the large one.  Profit margins I
suppose, but it comes across as a bit odd when you work out the prices.

Jason J Railton