 Technic / 15149
Re: Scissor Lift in LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 17:26:35 GMT

Have you ever tried building a scissor lift in LEGO? I’m working on a project
that calls for that kind of mechanism to lift it up, like those food service
trucks at the airport. It is based on an “X” shaped arrangement, which, like
the two parts of a scissors pivot at the middle. By bringing together the two
bottom (or top) ends, the top is lifted into the air.

The approach I took was to use Technic worm gears (like a screw) with a rack
gear on it. By turning the worm gears the rack gear should move along its
length, which moves the two bottom ends together, elevating the top. The
problem is that LEGO gears just aren’t up to the load this places on them,
and the teeth skip. I motorized it, gearing down the motor to get more
torque, but the gears would rather skip than lift the weight.

Has anyone out there successfully built this kind of scissor lift mechanism
in LEGO to lift a nontrivial weight? If so please reply here,
<http://www.brickpile.com/2006/03/03/scissor-lift-in-technic/#comments
comment on my blog> or email me any tips you may have. Thanks!

--Bill.

Hi Bill.

I came up with a design about a month ago.  It was never finished, but may be in
the future.

The only problem is that the way I have it angled, the pistons have to push hard
at the beginning of the ascension.  However, this is the best way I could come
up with to maximize the relative travel of the pistons.  All you would have to
do is change the angle to get either a high rise with bad mechanical advantage
or a short rise with high mechanical advantage If you want me to finish it or
have any questions, let me know.

Nathan Bell