 Technic / 15138
Re: Scissor Lift in LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 00:06:37 GMT

Some photos of what you've tried so far would help a great deal.

I was wondering if it would be possible to see how cloesly you're matching
up the worm gears to the rack gears, theoretically, it should be possible,
but if you're using more than one worm gear against a rack gear, the
construction has to hold it in place and the worm thread on the worm gear
needs to be precisely aligned with the line of the rotational thread of the
worm gear next to it or your worm gears will be out of rotational sync with
each other - unless you're only using one worm gear on each rack part.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

"Bill Ward" <bill@wards.net> wrote in message news:IvKJHv.1xLK@lugnet.com...
(cross posted to
<http://www.brickpile.com/2006/03/03/scissor-lift-in-technic/
my blog> and BayLUG Mindstorms mailing list)

Have you ever tried building a scissor lift in LEGO? I'm working on a
project
that calls for that kind of mechanism to lift it up, like those food
service
trucks at the airport. It is based on an "X" shaped arrangement, which,
like the
two parts of a scissors pivot at the middle. By bringing together the two
bottom
(or top) ends, the top is lifted into the air.

The approach I took was to use Technic worm gears (like a screw) with a
rack
gear on it. By turning the worm gears the rack gear should move along its
length, which moves the two bottom ends together, elevating the top. The
problem
is that LEGO gears just aren't up to the load this places on them, and the
teeth
skip. I motorized it, gearing down the motor to get more torque, but the
gears
would rather skip than lift the weight.