 Technic / 15142
Re: Scissor Lift in LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 14:57:31 GMT

"Geoffrey Hyde" <g.hyde@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:IvLB88.1D9t@lugnet.com...
Those are some interesting milling machines there Bob.  How do you think
they'd look if built in the newer studless beams?  Do you think there'd be
any insurmountable rigidity problems building with studless beams?

I noticed you had one long worm gear going through a paired set of
oppositely rotating 16t/24t gears.  I guess this was to keep the worm gear
stable while the gears just held it in place without moving?

http://www.ozbricks.com/bobfay/Pict0127.jpg - this pic here, on the
"newmill" page is what I'm talking about.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

Actually the gears cannot rotate as they are meshed with each other. This
causes them not only to support the screw, but act as a nut creating linear
motion for the slide.

I am not sure how well the studless beams will work for my interests. When a
cutter hits the material it is cutting, Lego reminds me that it is a toy.
The studs do make rigid structures possible. I hope to gain some new
experience when the NXT comes out in the Fall. I will surely have to change
my thinking.

Bob
--
http://www.ozbricks.com/bobfay/