 Technic / 15135
Re: Scissor Lift in LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 20:56:07 GMT

"Bill Ward" <bill@wards.net> wrote in message news:IvKJHv.1xLK@lugnet.com...
(cross posted to
<http://www.brickpile.com/2006/03/03/scissor-lift-in-technic/
my blog> and BayLUG Mindstorms mailing list)

Have you ever tried building a scissor lift in LEGO? I'm working on a
project
that calls for that kind of mechanism to lift it up, like those food
service
trucks at the airport. It is based on an "X" shaped arrangement, which,
like the
two parts of a scissors pivot at the middle. By bringing together the two
bottom
(or top) ends, the top is lifted into the air.

The approach I took was to use Technic worm gears (like a screw) with a
rack
gear on it. By turning the worm gears the rack gear should move along its
length, which moves the two bottom ends together, elevating the top. The
problem
is that LEGO gears just aren't up to the load this places on them, and the
teeth
skip. I motorized it, gearing down the motor to get more torque, but the
gears
would rather skip than lift the weight.

Has anyone out there successfully built this kind of scissor lift
mechanism in
LEGO to lift a nontrivial weight? If so please reply here,
<http://www.brickpile.com/2006/03/03/scissor-lift-in-technic/#comments
comment
on my blog> or email me any tips you may have. Thanks!

--Bill.

Posting to Lugnet so others can see.

My $.02, but I'm no mechanical genius:

Why don't you use one of those gear holders that holds a worm gear and 24t
gear in it.  Since the worm gear can slide along an axle, make the axle
stationary, but the gear mechanism where it can slid back and forth.  You
can then attach technic beams to the cross axle going through the 24t gear.
As the motor shaft turns the worm gear, it will cause a rotational force to
the scissor extending it, and the whole mechanism should be able to slide
(because when the scissor extends, it pulls opposite side together).

Hope it works.  That's only a theory!!!!

Rob
www.brickmodder.net