 Technic / 15134
15133  |  15135
Subject:
Scissor Lift in LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 20:27:31 GMT

(cross posted to my blog and BayLUG Mindstorms mailing list)

Have you ever tried building a scissor lift in LEGO? I’m working on a project that calls for that kind of mechanism to lift it up, like those food service trucks at the airport. It is based on an “X” shaped arrangement, which, like the two parts of a scissors pivot at the middle. By bringing together the two bottom (or top) ends, the top is lifted into the air.

The approach I took was to use Technic worm gears (like a screw) with a rack gear on it. By turning the worm gears the rack gear should move along its length, which moves the two bottom ends together, elevating the top. The problem is that LEGO gears just aren’t up to the load this places on them, and the teeth skip. I motorized it, gearing down the motor to get more torque, but the gears would rather skip than lift the weight.

Has anyone out there successfully built this kind of scissor lift mechanism in LEGO to lift a nontrivial weight? If so please reply here, comment on my blog or email me any tips you may have. Thanks!

--Bill.