 Technic / 15133
15132  |  15134
Subject:
Adaptive Sloping Track Module
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 20:17:53 GMT

I've just posted a drawing explaining how to extend a railway layout when the
track slopes at the point of extension, without intrducing an excessive change
of slope.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Trains/Layouts/Modular-Layout/Concepts/adaptive_sloping_track_module_diagram.jpg

This is used in my new large layout, which will be 16ftx12ft (37x28 of 16x16
studs) at exhibitions but 4 straights longer and 7 straights wider when in my
loft at home.

I have a slope of 1 in 30 (1 plate per 12 stud length or 4 plates per 48L
module) at the point where I extend the layout but, by using a module with
tiltable track, I am able to smooth out the changes of slope by changing a 1 in
30 module to 1 in 120 (1 plate per 3 straights) and adding two modules of 2
straights with 1 in 80 for one straight and 1 in 40 for the other.

I know this uses much smaller changes of slope than 6-wide trains can cope with,
but I've found it best to reduce the rate of change for longer vehicles (70L for
my Class 66 in 8mm:1ft scale).

To change the height offsets on the see-saw module, small pieces using technic
beams are inverted SNOT-fashion to produce half plate vertical offsets.  This
allows the change from 1 in 30 (4 plates) to 1 in 120
(1 plate) over a 3-straight module.  Since in extended mode the interfaces
between modules are now at half plate offset heights, the extra modules use
studless beams on their sides with alternating studs from below and technic half
pins to attach the track bed pieces.

I hope to post some pictures soon, when I've had another photo session.  I also
hope that this concept will be useful to those who adapt their modules to home
and show environments.

PLMKWYT
Mark