 Technic / 15145
Re: Scissor Lift in LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 20:51:14 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:
Some photos of what you've tried so far would help a great deal.

I'm sure they would.  Sorry I just haven't taken any yet.  But this thread has
given me some great ideas to try...

I was wondering if it would be possible to see how cloesly you're matching
up the worm gears to the rack gears, theoretically, it should be possible,
but if you're using more than one worm gear against a rack gear, the
construction has to hold it in place and the worm thread on the worm gear
needs to be precisely aligned with the line of the rotational thread of the
worm gear next to it or your worm gears will be out of rotational sync with
each other - unless you're only using one worm gear on each rack part.

The worm gears are aligned carefully, and they seem to mesh fairly well, but I
think ultimately rack gears and worm gears in LEGO just aren't a good match.  I
think part of my problem is that there is enough space along the axle for it to
deflect away from the rack, giving room for the teeth to skip.