 Star Wars / 719
Re: First Impressions of #7150 - TIE Fighter / Y-Wing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 19:29:43 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote in message <36e56951.20687535@lugnet.com>...

I think we're both right on this one.  I didn't have a lot of time to
poke around, but I did run across some information that there were two
models of Y-Wings.  One was a single-seater with the ion cannon fixed
(pointing to either fore or aft).  The other was a two seater, with a
rotating ion cannon, fired by a navigator/gunner.

Very true.  The original Y-Wing was a two seater.  However, there is a
single-seat varient called the Longprobe.  Relevant text from The Star Wars
Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, copyright 1990, West End Games:

"The Alliance employs two basic Y-Wing models, the BTL-A4 and the BTL-S3.
The S3 is the two-man varient.  It has superior shelds to the A4, as well as
better accuracy with its ion cannon (directly controlled by the gunner).
The A4 is also known as the Y-Wing Longprobe.  It is modified for deep-space
missions with longer in-flight time.  Whereas the S3 has no nav computer for
making calculations for hyperspace (it uses an R2 unit with pre-set
coordinates instead), the A4 is equipped with a sophisticated model capable
of unlimited jumps...The biggest difference between the two Y-Wing models is
the omission of the second crewman's station in the Longprobe.  The standard
Y-Wing holds a weapons officer who sits behind the pilot, and he has manual
control of the ion cannon turret.  In the Longprobe, the space is taken up
by a nav computer and hyperdrive back-up units.  The A4 pilot must fix his
ion cannon in one position (usually directly forward) and cannot make use of
the turret's rotation capabilities."

So, anally speaking, the Lego Y-Wing is a bastardization of the two
varients--ie, a one-seater with a rotating cannon and an R2 unit.  I'm sure
I won't be the only one to rectify this situation when I get finally get the
SW sets...

BTW, would anyone like to make a wager as to which city in the contiguous US
will get the SW Lego sets last?  My bet is Great Falls, Montana.
Coincidently, I happen to live there right now.  To paraphrase:  "Well, if
there's a bright center to the United States, you're in the city that it's
furthest from."

:Derek