 Star Wars / 716
Re: First Impressions of #7150 - TIE Fighter / Y-Wing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 16:53:21 GMT

Im glad to see that the sets are out and people are getting and building
them.  Although there are none as I could find in the NJ area, I await
impatiently.  To answer a few questions.
1) The TIE Advanced(Lord Vaders TIE fighter) had no blue on it.  It was all
black with some silver tinted solar panel arrays on both the inside and
outside of the wings.  However, an all black model was probably a little
dreary to LEGO, so they added a few colors is my guess.
2) The Y-Wing was a fighter/bomber, although it wasn't much of a fighter the
way the pilots were using them in the movie.  It was slow and not very agile,
but it had more armor than an X-Wing and carried 4 times as many Torpedoes.
Also, the Y-Wing was single pilot only and had two ion cannons on the roof
which don't pivot.  I think LEGO added this so you can get the pilot out of
the cockpit.  The ion cannons were mainly used for disabling enemy craft and
shorting out their electrical systems.  It did little to no damage to the
craft itself although it worked great on shields.  Hence, the Y-Wing was often
thrust into battle to do the impossible job of disabling key ships for
boarding operations in the midst of combat situations.  For the top Ion
cannons to rotate would require a second person in the ship to aim it as
concentrating on the direction of flight seems a little more important than
pivoting a cannon that doesn't really damage an enemy.
3) On the nose are two laser cannons and the torpedoes launched from the lower
sides of the wedge shaped front section.  This leads me to believe you are
correct that the ship is a little smaller than expected as it doesn't look
like it could store any in the ship at all on the front.

I know I'm getting a little anal here.  Playing the xwing series on my
computer at home really shows a lot of detail as to size relations, strengths,
weaknesses and usages of each vessel.  Also, the official "Science of
Starwars" and cross sectional views(I really like these as I am an Engineer)
allow one to see where everything is supposed to be on the different ships.  I
believe the mail box thingy you are talking about on the Y-Wing is right where
either the Hyperdrive should be or where the shield generator is.  Whoops.
Guess this ship is missing a little something, eh.  ;)

What I am curious about is how they did the back of the Snowspeeder?  The
craft looks so small, I don't know how a navagator/harpoon gunner could even
fit back there.  I was pleasantly surprised at the back views of the X-Wing.
This ship is almost proportional.  I can't wait to get mine.

Regards,

Jason F.