 Space / 41151
Re: Back after 5 years - trying to catch up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:51:34 GMT

Hey Doug,

Welcome back! As others have noted, there has been a proliferation of groups out there. With each new group there has been a renewed discussion of whether or not this is a good thing. As an admin and major poster at Classic-Castle, I’m obviously in the “good thing” camp. It’s been a long time since I’ve looked at the numbers, but Anthony Sava had a good post a couple of years ago showing that there has been a net increase in castle posting since the start of CC. Of course the problem of forum proliferation has been the lack of ability to take in the whole hobby at one. Until now, that need has been filled by Brickshelf, but with the growing popularity of Flickr, and some of the other things springing up in the wake of the great Brickshelf crisis of last week, I’m concerned that that may go by the wayside as well. Another recent growth is the popularity of blogs. If you check out one of my two MicroBricks and scroll down on the right-hand side you’ll see a listing of 70+ active LEGO blogs (plus more inactive blogs). I’ve also got a pretty good listing of different community forums (though there are many more small ones I didn’t list).

I’m not a spacer, so others can better address recent trends in space, but just from perusing Brickshelf and pics from the various fests, a few I see are: Moonbase Steampunk (not space per se, but popular with spacers) Floating rocks More microscale stuff (for instance, check out the Microspacetopia group on Flickr)

Bruce