 Space / 41150
Re: Back after 5 years - trying to catch up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:12:25 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.space, Doug Dropeskey wrote:
I was shocked to see, in the traffic report, that all of lugnet had 300 posts
in the last week.  I was under the impression it used to do 10 times that, if
not more.

Yep! I believe this graph is in posts per week:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/davee123/Info/lug_traffic.jpg

I have some data on FBTB, classic-castle, and classic-space as well, but it's
quasi-out-of-date as well (Jul 4 2006 - Mar 1 2007). The ballpark estimates
(posts per week) from that period are:

FBTB: ~2500
Classic-Castle: ~500 until Dec 2006, then a jump to ~900
Lugnet: ~500
Classic-Space: ~400

So, all told, just on those sites (which were most of the major public
discussion groups for English-speaking Lego AFOLs, apart from perhaps JLUG?),
you've got about 4000+ posts per week, which is more than LUGNET typically got
in its heyday. If you count other AFOL sites floating around (BrickLink's
forums, LUG forums, RTL & ATL, and a few other places*), there's probably about
5000+ posts per week about Lego in the AFOL community. More active than ever!

Lego seems as strong as ever, so where did everyone go?

As the internet has gotten bigger, the ability to host forums without much
technical prowess has spread. In the late 90's, most people who ran forums or
things with dynamic content were uber-geeks. Lugnet in particular had an
uber-geek (Todd) at the helm with a design professional (Suz) to help make a
smooth interface, custom tailored to the Lego community.

But as their interest in the project trailed off, the community was doing the
opposite. People needed *more* from Lugnet, not less. But at the same time, the
technical hurdle to setting up dynamic Lego webpages was getting smaller. So
pretty much anyone with some cash and a little bit of technical dabbling skill
could set up a Lego forum. PhpBB forums and the like abound, although most other
sites cater to a specific subset of the community.

DaveE

* I hesitate to add BZPower to the list cuz it's primarily kids, but then again,
so is FBTB, so I don't know what to think, I guess.