 Space / 41148
Re: Back after 5 years - trying to catch up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 12:53:54 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jim DeVona wrote:

   My question was about the reasons for the alluded exodus from .space, of course, not about the content of your post.

Hi Jim

I can’t answer for anybody but myself, but the reason I joined CSF (besides the fact that my lugnet account was screwed up at the moment) is that it’s so much easier to join and use: you don’t have to find the well hidden free memebership page to join, you don’t have to fight yourself through a mulitple-step posting battle (preview, post, and confirm email if you’re a freebie) and that there’s a lot of nice modern things like POST EDITING, avatars, linear posting you can 15-10 post on one page (instead of a tree you have to click back and forth in, missing stuff in other branches etc).

In short it’s a much lighter atmosphere, that invites short and quick replies (instead of long-winded well thought and confirmed post here), and both less experienced builders and builders of small stuff get attention even if some of the top-shots post at the same time - I’ve tried to post stuff here several times that simply got drowned because one of the topshots presented something large - the replies to Keith Goldman could flush out everything on both the latest 4 posts on the main page and “next 20+”.

I haven’t any excact numbers, but it appeared to me that only around 50 people were active on Lugnet.space (judging by the number of posts to the top builders), while CSF has been able to draw in many new and younger members, totalling in around 1000 (more or less active) users.
In the 2½ years it has existed 52.000 posts has been written, compared to 41.000 posts in lugnet.space over the last 8.

So basically there’s just room for more people, more activity, more inspiration, and it work so much smoother. I just wish more people from the old .space crowd would look past old disagreements and join, because it’s really a great place.

Anyways, cya on CSF!