 General / 53752
Re: Back after 5 years - trying to catch up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2007 13:12:56 GMT

In lugnet.general, Doug Dropeskey wrote:

Snip

   From my reading it appears that lugnet went through some management turmoil--unprocessed memberships, infrequent updates to theme areas, access issues for admins, and so forth. Did the exodus cause the storm, or did the storm cause the exodus, or did something else happen? Has that storm passed? Rene immediately restored my membership and delt with my initial posting problems.

I think it was a bit of both. The community wanted websites with more specialized content. Needs were not being met (articles, chat, easy to join) so other sites were started.

   I was reading about the ambassador program, and it appears lego still uses lugnet to interact with end users. Is lego now going to the other boards, too?

Yes. Major announcements are still made on Lugnet. Ambassadors often post news on all of the theme/lug sites they are involved in. Theme sites also get product previews (Star Wars at fbtb.net, Castle at Classic-Castle.com, etc). Steve Witt of the LEGO Community Team answers fan questions on fbtb.net: http://www.fbtbforums.net/viewforum.php?f=4

   I wonder if the other groups felt lugnet was just not flexible enough. Have any of the groups ever explained why they jumped?

Lugnet is great as a site to see mocs from many themes and have general discussions. Expecting Lugnet (or any site run by one or two people) to be adequate for all of the specialized groups of LEGO fans is not realistic.

   I remember when one could read about every subgenera all at once in rtl. Lugnet imposed a lot of structure, but one could still dip into all the streams. With everyone blown to the winds, how does one keep up? Is lugnet still the central clearing house of lego knowledge?

Many people still read Lugnet. The problem is that few post. I regularly browse Lugnet, Classic-Castle, Classic-Space, fbtb.net, bricklink, eurobricks. I post more at Classic-Castle since I help run that site and am a castle head. Castle!

Ben Ellermann