 Space / 18997
Re: Portable Bot Factory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:29:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:

This could be a fun 'Fest event.  Everyone comes with their own Plano filled
with choice parts such as these.  Once gathered, everyone passes their kit
to the person beside them, then a build session.

That is an AWESOME idea!  Seriously.  Super easy to do too.  Only
requirement is that everyone's kit is the same model, maybe a slightly
larger plano case.  It would be great to see what other people made with
your parts.

Hmmmm ... how hard would it be to come up with a game system based around these
portable cases?  Each case would be limited to a given number of *pieces*, but
each person could use whatever pieces they so desired.  Then a person builds a
robot of some sort, or a vehicle, or whatever, and uses it to combat the other
persons.  On each turn, you could use your remaining pieces to build another
robot (or ship ...) in response to the other persons' forces ...

One of the greatest elements of some games is the preparation and the
personalization.  Brikwars is great ni that respect - I love spending hours
perfecting my troops.  Way back in college, that was one of the most intriguing
elements of Magic: the Gathering.  Same resources (essentially) available to
all, but SO VERY DIFFERENT in the strategies, themes, and executions.  Now, can
something similar be designed for a portable bot factory?  A set of rules for
play, whereby two people go head-to-head, and can play new 'bots, or upgrade
existing ones.  Different people would obviously have different strategies - I
might go for more buzzsaws and drills, while my opponent uses oilcans and a
flamethrower.

There would have to be some standardization of parts, though, and what their
capabilities were.  Drills, saws, little guns, cameras, hover engines, treads,
and so and and so forth would all need to fit in the same contextual layout.
But what each user puts in their case could be completely individualized, and
furthermore how they are used in play would add another element of variation.
Massive robots, strong but few in numbers?  Little robots, swarming in great
groups?

I'd love to see someone (or the group as a whole) develop something along these
lines.  How fun would it be to play this at a 'fest, or a LUG meeting?

I'm rambling.

In any case, great work Jon.  These look amazing, and I keep bonking my hand on
the monitor as I try to reach in and grab them.  As someone who cannot help
but fidget and keep busy while on the phone, they look especially appealing to
me; I'd much rather absent-mindedly build while talking on the phone, instead
of pacing from one end of the house to the other.  One by each phone ...
mmmmmm.

-s