 General / 39462
39461  |  39463
Subject:
Portable Bot Factory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.storage
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 23:48:40 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I've always loved the idea of building something from a limited supply of
parts.  Over a year ago I bought a decent sized Plano tackle box.  I filled
this with parts for weekend car trips where I knew I would get bored or have
free time:

http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=972005&cp=7169
57

Yesterday my girlfriend was showing me some tiny cases that she keeps some
of her jewelry in.  This made me think that it would be cool to use
something like this for LEGO.  That night I bought a little double sided
Plano tackle box (3414) at walmart.

This is the end result:

http://www.zemi.net/imageblog/factory00.jpg
http://www.zemi.net/imageblog/factory01.jpg
http://www.zemi.net/imageblog/factory02.jpg

This thing is tiny.  It's a bit bigger than my digital camera.  I filled it
with as many small bot-making parts that I could think of.  I like to think
of it as an emergency building kit.  Something you could put in your
backpack or throw in the glovebox for a road trip.

I'm gonna mess with the contents of the box for a while to try and get the
optimal mix of parts in it.
Here are 3 more pics of the first 3 bots I made:

http://www.zemi.net/imageblog/bot10.jpg
http://www.zemi.net/imageblog/bot11.jpg
http://www.zemi.net/imageblog/bot12.jpg

I chose to make 3 small bots (I figure I can make many more with the parts
left over) but you could also use the case to make larger bots with more
parts.  Also with just a little modification I bet you could set this up to
make microfig ships.  Or how bout a slightly larger case for micro-moonbase
construction?

Tell me what you think. :-)

-Jon