 Space / 13974
Re: Love new pieces & colors, but . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 22:36:28 GMT

Gents,

Strange that you mention the integrity issue.  I've read a few other posts
describing the same problem and expected it.  However, the completed model
is extremely solid...definately more so than any other SW model I have with
exception of the Snowspeeder.  Perhaps I just lucked in this time....when
compared to the bin full of loose hinges, no friction friction pins and
teflon stick plates, I suppose I've been rewarded with a fluke in my favour!

Cheers,
-G

However, the inclusion
of some of these movable "action" parts has, I think, compromised the
overall integrity of the model.

Intregity is Key, you want to keep things similar to
the target design, but usually that intergiry is traded for,
instead, a weak structural design. When I think of this,
I try to look back to the 7130 Snowspeeder, which made equal compromise
of both integrity, and structural values. Here's what I
found.

In part because of the modularity employed to construct the ship, the
structural stability is very low.  The ship falls apart easily when held
from most points.  The cockpit pops off with very little pressure, as do the
farings around the wing assemblies.  I was reminded of some the HP sets that
"explode" when you try to pick them up.  However, the new parts are so cool
that I'm not bothered by this that much.  Although I would have kept the set
together a lot longer if it wasn't so flimsy.

Oh well, most of the people that buy these sets, will either
keep them unopened, or break them apart for parts, so even
though the design integrity is poor, most people won't
handle the built model anyway, unless they're SW geeks, or just
want to build the model for the heck of it...

Dave