 Space / 13971
Re: Love new pieces & colors, but . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 18:03:16 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Simmons writes:
I love the new colors and pieces.  I think the new dark blue will be my
favorite new color.  The new pieces are also especially good, particularly
the faring pieces.  The proportions and shape of the model are also much
better than the first.  It also has lots of moving parts; the storage bay,
gun/missile emplacements, bomb drop, rotating wings.  However, the inclusion
of some of these movable "action" parts has, I think, compromised the
overall integrity of the model.

Intregity is Key, you want to keep things similar to
the target design, but usually that intergiry is traded for,
instead, a weak structural design. When I think of this,
I try to look back to the 7130 Snowspeeder, which made equal compromise
of both integrity, and structural values. Here's what I
found.

Lots of specialized parts, particularly those that are large,
and have few studs, jeapordize the model's structure.

Lack of basic bricks and plates, cause the model to actually
lost intergrity (no kidding?) The slave one has a lot of specialized
parts, but I think they could have scaled back on those a bit.

Moving parts (systematic). When you have a lot of model parts
that move about, this in turn causes the model to grow unstable,
and if too many parts are pushed out at once, you have a disaster
of design on hand. Keep it simple.

In part because of the modularity employed to construct the ship, the
structural stability is very low.  The ship falls apart easily when held
from most points.  The cockpit pops off with very little pressure, as do the
farings around the wing assemblies.  I was reminded of some the HP sets that
"explode" when you try to pick them up.  However, the new parts are so cool
that I'm not bothered by this that much.  Although I would have kept the set
together a lot longer if it wasn't so flimsy.

Oh well, most of the people that buy these sets, will either
keep them unopened, or break them apart for parts, so even
though the design integrity is poor, most people won't
handle the built model anyway, unless they're SW geeks, or just
want to build the model for the heck of it...

Dave

Just my two brickz...

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Pyrokid17@hotmail.com