 Robotics / RCX / 2244
Re: IR Sensitivity - Was: 1.5/2.0 infrared problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 00:55:29 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, John Hansen wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Mark Riley wrote:
So, here's a brief summary of the Spybot remote packets (AFAIK):

[snippage]

Thanks a lot for posting this very useful information, Mark!  I don't know how
long I've been beating my head against the brick trying to make heads or tails
out of the values I calculated for the various possible combinations of button
presses.  The Spybot remotes can also transmit on channel zero, I believe.
Also, it seems to me that it would be better to document the Spybot remote by
button number rather than RRRR/LLLL either forward or reverse.

Here's the table of hex numbers I've been using:

[more snippage]

Probably not very helpful.  On second thought, maybe it's better to not think
about button numbers. :-)  How on earth did you figure this all out?

Glad you like the chart.  Trying to find a way to present the information in a
useful manner was the trick for me, too.  :-)  I'll have to throw up a web page
or something.

As to figuring it out, credit has to first go to John Barnes for figuring out
the Manas protocol as mentioned in this post:

  http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=15809

The Spybot packets are just more of the same, although with some interesting
dynamics.  Like, some buttons repeat the packet while the button is held down,
and others only send the packet once, the fire button actually sends two types
of packets in operating mode, etc...  You can use the Monitor IR menu command in
ScriptEd (I know... boo, hiss... :-) to observe the packet order and repeat
rates.  Also, the BrickOS program I posted in this thread will display the
remote packets on the RCX display.

I know the Manas remotes can send on channel "0" (same as "all channels"), but I
don't think I've seen my Spybot remotes do that.  Is there some trick I'm
missing?

I agree, I should probably specify the button instead of using something like
"forward" like so:

  RRRR = Right motor buttons
           0000 - No button pressed
           0111 - Foward pressed (upper right button)
           1111 - Reverse pressed (lower right button)
  LLLL = Left motor buttons
           0000 - No button pressed
           0111 - Foward pressed (upper left button)
           1111 - Reverse pressed (lower left button)

Cheers,

Mark