 Robotics / RCX / 2229
Re: IR Sensitivity - Was: 1.5/2.0 infrared problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:13:27 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
Thanks for your answer, this will keep me from dismantling once again my RCXs !

Mine have been apart more often than I'd like, too!  :-)

So it seems that LEGO modified RCX2.0 to get better compatibility with
Spybots/Manas. Now a question remains, why did they increased carrier frequency
on new products? Better remote sensitivity? (I find that the remote control of
these devices do work remarquably well). Or increased communication speed?

My guess would be mostly for increased communication speed.  With the higher
baud rate, the duration of the 2-byte Spybot/Manas packets is halved.  This
allows for fewer collisions from remotes on different channels and hence a
higher update rate for the motor commands being sent (i.e. the motors will
appear more responsive).

IMHO, the choice of 76KHz carrier enables some sensitivity to older 38KHz
frequency, there is probably enough second harmonic to get through receiver
bandpass filter. Interestingly enough, 76 KHz is not an IR standard frequency,
and Vishay who manufactures TSOP1138 makes receiver only in 30 to 56 KHz range.
See documentation / tutorial here: http://www.vishay.com/docs/80069/80069.pdf

It's interesting, the responsivity chart in the above document only covers 0.7
to 1.3 the designed carrier frequency...  I wonder what the relative response is
for half the carrier frequency - at least this would give us a ballpark figure
at what reduction in sensitivity we're experiencing at 38 KHz.

Might the TSOP-1176 parts have started appearing in RCXs prior to RCX 2.0?
Could there be any RCX "1.5" units with this new receiver?

Mark