 Robotics / RCX / 2226
Re: IR Sensitivity - Was: 1.5/2.0 infrared problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 03:33:18 GMT

chip 1138 / chip 1176

Strange... 38 + 38 = 76
What does that mean?

Rob

"Mark Riley" <markril@hotmail.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Chris Masclet wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Chris Masclet wrote:
Hi I've got two RCX: a 1.5 and 2.0 version.
I' ve got a problem with IR emiter/reicever.
The 1.5 version seems to be more sensitive to reflected infrared and • its
good to use !
But the 2.0 RCX is less sensitive and for example doesn't receive • reflected
message from my remote control or 1.5 RCX.It has to be exactly in the • axle
to receive IR.
Does anybody know about it?

CHRISMAKER

we ' ve told about this thing with Philo few days ago cause he had the • same
problem.

So I' ve made several tests with 4 RCX: 2 RCXv1.0 and 2 RCXv2.0 .

It seems RCX emitter is the same in 1.0 and 2.0 versions.
But 2.0 receiver is less sensitive than 1.0's one..........

This is a weird thing!!!

I think there might be an explanation for this and I've been meaning to • post on
this topic, but never seem to have gotten around to it!  :-)

I've opened up my RCX 1.0 and the IR receiver has the markings "TSOP 1138" • on
it.  After looking this part number up, it appears it is an IR receiver
sensitive to a 38KHz IR carrier.  This is the "normal" carrier for RCX • messages.

However, my RCX 2.0 has an IR receiver with "TSOP 1176" markings.  I • couldn't
find any info on this part, but knowing that a TSOP-1140 is an IR receiver • for a
40KHz carrier leads me to extrapolate that the IR receiver in my RCX 2.0 • is
sensitive to a 76KHz carrier (double the 38KHz carrier).

Now, as has been mentioned here before, the Spybot and Manas remotes send • IR
messages using a 76KHz IR carrier.  My RCX 2.0 can receive these messages • just
fine, while my RCX 1.0 struggles to receive these messages even with the • remote
a few inches from the RCX.

While the TSOP-1176 is also apparently sensitive to a 38KHz carrier • (otherwise
it couldn't receive normal RCX messages), it may be with less sensitivity • than
the native TSOP-1138.  This could be the reason for the observed • differences in
IR reception between the different RCX versions.

Mark

BTW, the TSOP-1176 part is also used as the receiver in Spybots and Manas • motor
units.