 Robotics / RCX / 2237
Re: IR Sensitivity - Was: 1.5/2.0 infrared problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:47:01 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Mark Riley wrote:
I've been adding support for the Spybot and Manas remotes to my custom firmware

I put together a fun little program for BrickOS that turns the RCX into
a Manas motor unit.  I've run an RCX 2.0 and a Spybot around the room using the
Spybot remotes and they both respond wonderfully.

Mark,

Thanks for posting this.  I've been trying to figure out how to do that, but I
don't know enough about the IR messages and baud control of BrickOS to do it
myself.

      // check for channel assignment packet
      //   format: 100100CC 1111SSSS
      //     C = channel number (1 to 3)
      //     S = checksum
      if ( (spy_packet[0] & 0xFC) == 0x90 &&
           (spy_packet[1] & 0xF0) == 0xF0 )
        channel = spy_packet[0] & 0x03;
      }

I don't know if this is printed anywhere, but here's some more info about the
Spybot remotes:

"in addition to the channels 1, 2 and 3, there are
three more channels 4, 5 and 6 (which you select in Setup mode by holding
down the lower left buttion (SHIFT) when pressing the normal channel buttons"

so, you can have SIX people running trains at the same time.

You may want to make the changes, and try this out to see if it works with your
stuff.

Thanks again for posting it.

Steve