 Robotics / RCX / 2243
Re: IR Sensitivity - Was: 1.5/2.0 infrared problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 00:02:54 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Mark Riley wrote:
So, here's a brief summary of the Spybot remote packets (AFAIK):

Operating Mode

01CCRRRR LLLLSSSS Motor drive buttons (repeats when buttons held down)
10010CCC 0010SSSS Fire button (once when button pressed)
00CC0001 0001SSSS Fire button (repeats when button held down)

Setup Mode

10010CCC 1111SSSS Channel assignment (lower right button)

Ping Mode

10010CCC 0000SSSS Ping (repeats continuously)
10010CCC 0001SSSS Upper left button (once when button pressed)
10010CCC 0010SSSS Fire button (once when button pressed)
10010CCC 0011SSSS Upper right button (once when button pressed)
10010CCC 0100SSSS Lower left button (once when button pressed)
10010CCC 0101SSSS Lower right button (once when button pressed)

Legend

    CC = Channel number (1 to 3)
   CCC = Channel number (1 to 6)
  SSSS = Checksum (chosen so sum of all nibbles is zero)
  RRRR = Right motor buttons
           0000 - No button pressed
           0111 - Foward pressed
           1111 - Reverse pressed
  LLLL = Left motor buttons
           0000 - No button pressed
           0111 - Foward pressed
           1111 - Reverse pressed

Thanks a lot for posting this very useful information, Mark!  I don't know how
long I've been beating my head against the brick trying to make heads or tails
out of the values I calculated for the various possible combinations of button
presses.  The Spybot remotes can also transmit on channel zero, I believe.
Also, it seems to me that it would be better to document the Spybot remote by
button number rather than RRRR/LLLL either forward or reverse.

Here's the table of hex numbers I've been using:

              CHANNEL
Btn     0      1      2      3
1    0x4075 0x5074 0x6073 0x7072
2    0x9025 0x9124 0x9223 0x9322
3    0x4705 0x5704 0x6703 0x7702
4    0x40fd 0x50fc 0x60fb 0x70fa
5    0x5f0d 0x5f0c 0x6f0b 0x7f0a
3/4  0x47f6 0x57f5 0x67f4 0x77f3
1/5  0x4f76 0x5f75 0x6f74 0x7f73
1/3  0x477e 0x577d 0x677c 0x777b
4/5  0x4ffe 0x5ffd 0x6ffc 0x7ffb

Probably not very helpful.  On second thought, maybe it's better to not think
about button numbers. :-)  How on earth did you figure this all out?

John Hansen