 Robotics / 21982
Re: The end of an all-too-brief era
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:34:40 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ray Sanders wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
I had heard it here before around here... but had hoped it was just a
rumour.

LEGO Mindstorms is going away.

Toys R Us, at least in my area, has stopped carrying Mindstorms
products, and according to the fellow I spoke to about it that works
there, LEGO is discontinuing the entire line.

Has this been confirmed or denied by anyone from TLC ?

At Lego World, the folowing question was asked...

Q: is there any future for the Mindstorms line?
A: yes.
http://news.lugnet.com/events/legoworld/?n=30

It was me to ask that question to Brad Justus. Brad answered that the Mindstorms
line is alive and they have plans for it, and at that moment I felt satisfied.

The day after my brother Giulio met Brad again along the corridors of the
LEGOWORLD and asked him a few more questions. Shortly, Brad confirmed that
Mindstorms has a very strong position as educational tool and that TLC will
release some more expansion sets, but he also said very clearly that there are
no plans for an RCX 3.0.

I want to add to the picture the fact that here in Italy the RIS is almost
impossible to find in the shops. In the last months ItLUG received many messages
of people asking for a place where to buy a RIS.

That said, I'm under the impression that in the future the Mindstorms line is
going to be sold through educational channels only, and that we cannot expect
any further version of the RCX. Obviously, I would like to be proven wrong.

Ciao
Mario