 Robotics / 21966
Re: The end of an all-too-brief era
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 17:21:24 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
I had heard it here before around here... but had hoped it was just a
rumour.

LEGO Mindstorms is going away.

Toys R Us, at least in my area, has stopped carrying Mindstorms
products, and according to the fellow I spoke to about it that works
there, LEGO is discontinuing the entire line.

This really bums me out because it was the Mindstorms line that really
triggered my interest in playing with LEGO in the first place, and
although I do indeed love playing with the bricks themselves,  I'm still
extremely disappointed about this.

Well, at least I can still fool around with what I've got... I'm mostly
disappointed because this not only means there will be no future
improvements to the RCX, but it also will mean that the development
outside LEGO for Mindstorms products will start to stagnate, spelling a
drawn out demise for products like NQC, BrickOS, PBForth, et al.

Even my wife, who isn't really big on LEGO herself, is kinda bummed out
about this.  My kids all think LEGO is making a mistake.... "They always
do this.  They stop making the really *COOL* sets and don't come out
with anything better."

Anyways... I'm just expressing some frustration here.  Sorry for
dumping, although I wouldn't be suprised if others here shared my sentiment.

Mark

Dear Mark,

I do not believe that they will stop production (maybe development) - at least
not regarding the educational part of the system.

But as of today I sent the following eMail to LEGO Customer Service:

"...

Especially because of several comments within the forum LUGNET-Robotics I am
really concerned if LEGO is going to stop production/development of LEGO
Mindstorms.  I have invested so much money in this system and my plans are to
invest much more, but in my opinion the unsecure situation (maybe its all
unserious rumors) does not allow the latter.

Would you please, please be so kind to give me at least a hint, whether at least
the production (at least regarding the educational part of it) of the existing
system will continue?

..."

If they should answer, I will post it here, too.

Regards,

Dirk