 Robotics / 21977
Re: The end of an all-too-brief era
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 00:28:41 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jerry Kalpin wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, David Koudys wrote:
.

That said, I have purchased numerous LEGO items from Spectrum,

My only problem is that it's expensive to get parts from Spectrum--Bricklink was
a much less expensive way to get parts.

Dave, I also have ordered from Spectrum.  Nice folks, as I recall.  Just way
over-priced.  Oh well, that's what happens when  you stick in a middleman.

We have LEGO Direct for direct sales to consumers.....

Why not a 'LEGO Smart' division to handle the educational side of the LEGO
catalog?

In their 'Early Years' catalog, pgs 22-31, they have all sorts of LEGO but no
Mindstorms products and no Robolab software.  I sent off a note to their
'customer service' asking if they still carry those things.  I will post the
reply.

My hope is that they are no longer licensed to sell those products, so that I
can buy them directly from Pitsco.  Spectrum was selective about what they
stocked, but because of licence agreements I could not order 'missing items'
from Pitsco direct.  For example:  When I complained to Pitsco that Spectrum did
not stock a $25 upgrade (after I had purchased the original Robolab for $100) a
very nice guy from Pitsco actually mailed me the upgrade at no cost.

I would be just as happy to see all of these products move back under the true
LEGO company umbrella.  It's never made sense to me why LEGO is so ashamed that
their products might be seen as "educational".

Allan B.