 Robotics / 21989
Re: The end of an all-too-brief era
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 17:17:40 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mike Thorn wrote:
At 10:20 AM 1/7/2004, you wrote:
Anyways... I'm just expressing some frustration here.  Sorry for dumping,
although I wouldn't be suprised if others here shared my sentiment.

I don't. Does nobody remember the rumour of RIS 3.0? Nothing ever disproved
it (and in fact several sources confirmed it, which were all publicized
here). I'm sticking with that hope.

And besides, just because the line discontinues doesn't mean all the RCX's
disappear off the face of the earth. We still have the core component.
LUGNET has proven over and over again that we can build stuff just as good
as the real McCoy. If LEGO won't do RIS 3.0 (which I'm still confident they
will) then we will.

~Mike

How well informed is this guy at Toys R Us?  If Toys R Us doesn't want to sell
the high dollar Mindstorms 2.0 set, they can simply stop buying it--which means
that Toys R Us is discontinuing the purchase.  Depending on the competence of
the Toys R Us sales person, a Toys R Us discontinuing the item may be
misinterpreted as Lego discontinuing the item.

Mindstorms is an expensive product to most consumers--which means the inventory
doesn't turn over well.  Since the goal of all sales is to have a high turnover,
sales may decied to dump the low inventory turnover items and increase the high
inventory turnover items. (i.e. lower cost items that they sell a lot of)

This could mean Toys R Us doesn't want to have the Mindstorms sets through the
first part of the year.  Since most american business really only focuses on the
next quarter (not 1-5 years long range), the common practice would be to
discontinue ordering (until the ordering for the next quarter is determined).

Mindstorms are not generally purchased on a regular basis for the general public
(a lot of mindstorms sell well at Christmas.  A parent can justify 200 bucks for
a nice Christmas present, but usually won't do so for a birthday present).

So, you might want to take that information with the Toys R Us guy with a grain
of salt...or find out where he got that info...

Scott Lyttle