 People / Teens / 25
teen FOLs: do we actually exist?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.teens
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:39:56 GMT

These are just a few thoughts that I have had:

You can easily divide LEGO fans into groups. first of all, the little
kids from about 0-9 that just play with LEGO. this group is becoming the
only group LEGO (r) cares about, if you look at the impact of
junorization. I can stiff remember being 8 or so and playing with LEGO
at my friend's. But about in the year before we got to high school, it
just died away (or was it earlier). I was about the only one playing
with LEGO. I soon discovered LUGNET and RCX-related stuff such as NQC
and brickOS. I noticed that there are also the AFOLs. In LUGNET, It
seems, almost everybody is an AFOL. I thought it was good that LUGNET
exists, but also never actually posted anything by or about myself. Just
like in alt.html, where I could just as well be a professiona[ web
designer to people who read my posts.

Now, where are the TFOLs? They don't really seem to exist. In the real
world, at school etc. we seldomly "out" ourselves as LEGO fans. We all
play cool. Go on, you do, too. In the net, we lurk in LUGNET, but don't
post anything because we really don't want to hear something along the
lines of "Quite nice for a kid.". IMHO, TFOLs are _much_ closer to AFOLs
that to LEGO-kids, but our normal skill level is nowhere near them. So
we hide, and new ones (maybe most of us) keep on lurking and think
"damn, I seem to be the youngest or worst lego fan here" and maybe try
to get better "in hiding".

So, I am very glad that there is l.p.teens. The few posts there are here
show that we do exist, but all of us "just lurk"

Please answer to this message and say what you think about the above
paragraphs, or I'll start thinking this group is as dead as
l.loc.de.by.mue, my local group.

Regards, Thomas