 People / Teens / 24
RE: New invention instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.people, lugnet.people.newbie, lugnet.people.teens, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:30:10 GMT

Four:

-If you're between 9-14, ask teacher at school to join First
Lego League.

Five:

-If you're not, participate in a local LUG or organization
that has regular robotics challenges, etc.

Calum

Participating the state FIRST LEGO League Tournament is a great idea.
However, the challenging effect varies greatly.  I guess it really depends
on who holds the events.    I went to one held in my state, I was completely
disappointed.  It turned to be a chaotic sporting events.  Most of the
children, I would like 80% of the them,   were not there for the challenge,
but for cheering with rock music, yelling & screaming.  One even walked
around with a boom box!!!  This was in additional to the rock music the host
played.  One can easily imagine the condition.    Only one out of the all
the participating teams actually demonstrate a reasonable level of
understanding of using sensors.   Most others just pretty much let the bot
run with no sensor at all.    I tried to stick around for an hour, and left
with great disappointment.

Then,  I read the web site for alike tournament held at Pittsburgh, run by
the Robotics Academy from CMU.  It looked much much more promising.

I currently am searching for some other challenging contests my group can
participate.  While I am searching around on net, calling and such,  PLEASE
pass on ideas if any.

I hope FIRST LEGO League  officials will  one  day set a standard
qualification and more guidelines or the host, as well as mentor.  This will
not only increase the quality of the contest, but also enforcing the
learning, instead of just being  "playful".   -- 2cents.

--Elizabeth Mabrey