 People / Teens / 43
Re: teen FOLs: do we actually exist?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.teens
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 07:43:26 GMT

SNIPPY

(sorry bout the late reply, I missed this post when the uncivil war started, and then my net connection got lost, too)

   We want to dispel that notion that age and skill and parts are interrelated. I’d say it’s more the ability of the person and their character. I’m only 17, but I’ve got more bricks than some of the adults I know (85k to their 60k). He’s a better builder than I, too (regardless of age).

Well, IMHO, whether we like it or not, thats the way it is. My logic is that a builder who’s been around on planet earth for a longer time will simply have had more time to collect neat sets and parts, and also have had the time to look through other creations and ideas, and add to it the fact that teens don’t have much time anyway, I think these three factors are a valid consideration. Don’t get me wrong, I think that dispelling the notion that these factors are interconnected is very important, and indeed, this should be the whole point of having a contest in the first place, but at this point I’m just looking at the cold hard facts.

   I think a vignette contest might be a dandy idea. Actually, what if it wasn’t so much a contest as a build project, like .space’s seed parts? That’d eliminate the seeing who’s best feeling and be more of a way to introduce more of us to the rest of the online community.

A good idea, but what would be the seed part? you’d need something common enough for most people to have, but at the same time, you could hardly use a 2 x 4.... Something interesting enough to be basing an MOC on, yet not too rare for someone not to have in the average sized collection. Also, I think it’d be a good idea if the part transcends all themes: for example, you could hardly use the Han Solo carbonite brick in town (which is not to say it would be impossible, even right now I’m thinking of a road roller flattening Han onto the tarmac which would make a hilarious town vignette scene :-D) But still.... I’ll try and have a think and come back to post.

Till then,

Legoswami Samarth