 People / Teens / 38
Re: teen FOLs: do we actually exist?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.teens
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 02:26:42 GMT

In lugnet.people.teens, Thomas Jollans wrote:
snip

Now, where are the TFOLs? They don't really seem to exist. In the real
world, at school etc. we seldomly "out" ourselves as LEGO fans.

snip
Regards, Thomas

Hello Thomas,

I read this thread and thought about my own son, pushing 15 and his friends.  Of
course, just being his "Mom", I have no clue what they say at school (and truly,
I'm sure I don't want to know either) but he and his peers certainly build a
fair amount while they are here (in between cranking tunes and playing video
games, of course).  I'm not sure if it's partly because we are from a small
town, and our house is filled with Lego, but none of his peers are every shy
about "outing" themselves around me.  Along with that, I have seen some pretty
amazing builds from others that are under 19.

Then I also recalled one few first fans of lego I ever talked to (at Bricklink
Chat), Travis, who just happens to be a teen as well. I was impressed with his
mocs way before I ever knew his age.  His age really was of no factor to how I
felt about his mocs, they are well designed, well executed and pretty darn cool.
He has in my opinion, mastered snot techniques and scale, has a presence on the
web, and heck he even does instructions for some his models.  I do recall he
used lego for a science project at school so I'm sure his friends are well aware
of his hobby.

Anyhow I hope Travis doesn't mind me sharing a link of one of my favourites of
his http://www26.brinkster.com/tmamone/lamborghini1.html

I would recommend anyone check out his site, not because of his age, but because
he has some great mocs.

I think the only advantage most adults have over any younger builder is that
there is a potential for having more disposable income to buy more parts, oh
yeah, and you don't usually have your mom telling you to "CLEAN UP THIS LEGO
MESS!"

Janey "Red Brick"