Re: Crate Contraption Standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:45:44 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.smart, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

The only answer I've come up with it the crate-shoving
method employed by SMARTs forklifts.

I can come up with two new ways of doing it...

My thought was to make a "holding" bin/crate with a
trap door at the bottom, that is opened when a removable
crate is put underneath it,

   Which brings up a point about the standard. For a "simple" input, my methods
(flip-up-able feeder ramp to temporarily hold incoming balls, or gravity-fed
empty crates into newly vacated input zone) need very little height beyond the
standard "crate height" - in other words, the output of a module would need to
be about 10 brick heights over the base, to allow for the crate underneath. Your
idea of a feed hopper above a crate might need slightly more vertical room above
a stadard crate height. But making such devices easier (by making the input zone
taller, and thus requiring the output to be higher as well) means more "wasted
space" under the module (or more to the point, a lot of supporting structure).
Any idea where a good balence is? I've been assuming the output has to be at
least 10 brick heights above the base, as I think that's conservative (it allows
room for a crate and a brick or so more vertical play), but who else has built
something like this? Any suggestions?

--
Brian "...and I thought I *had* enough LEGO" Davis