Re: Crate Contraption Standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:39:45 GMT

Are the SMARTies going to be showing anything off at NWBrickCon?

In lugnet.org.us.smart, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.smart, Mark Kenworthy wrote:

We also tend to use a ball sorter and combiner in our bigger contraptions, which
adds to the complication, as those modules have 2 incoming or outgoing crates
(ball chutes, lines, or tracks), and 1 complementary outgoing or incoming crates
(ball chutes, lines, or tracks).

Things like this would fit in fine, if you require each sorter to include a
combiner.  Then, there is still only 1 input, and 1 output.

Alternatively, if you restrict the depth of a module somewhat, you COULD devise
a standard way for a sorter to branch, and a combiner to merge (sorter has two
outputs that are located X apart and a combiner has 2 inputs also X apart...)
then you can have two lines of standard movement modules of arbitrary (but
equal) length connecting the sorter and combiner.

I know this takes away from the coolness of the whole thing, because you won't
see sorted balls for very long, but I hope people can see the advantages of
having such a standard.

For V1 yes, but don't paint yourself into a corner for V2...

Beyond the standard input/output location, I think the only thing that will be
required is a minimum throughput.  Like: Each module must process balls at a
rate of 1/sec, or about 2 crates/minute.

How's that sound?

Too fast I think.