Re: Crate Contraption Standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:52:12 GMT

Brian B. Alano wrote:

Steve clearly wants to keep this simple for the first
go-around. But others, including myself, dream of more
flexibility.

   As long as the "Type 1" standard doesn't tightly constrain future expansion,
I think both are achievable.

I mean, how will it know when it is safe to remove or
place a crate when its neighbors always expect
a crate to be there?

The only answer I've come up with it the crate-shoving
method employed by SMARTs forklifts.

   It seems a good one, but certainly not the only one. For instance, have a
empty crates not filled directly, but instead via a sloping ramp with a flip-up
edge. When I want to remove a (presumably) filled crates, as the forklift lifts
the crate it flips up the edge, so any incoming balls are "held up" until I
place an empty crate in the holder, lowering the ramp edge and spilling the
temporarily held balls into the new crate.
   Or a row of empty crates on a sloping ramp, filling the one at the end. When
the newly-filled crate is lifted off the end of the end, the next empty crate
slides down the ramp into position. This does leave the "filling position" very
briefly empty, so a mechanical system similar to the above could be used to
impound incoming balls any time the "filling position" is empty.

if it's the only usable one, crate-handling in the
initial version may lack some variety.

   If I can come up with two new ways of doing it, think about the variety that
will pop up when lot of AFOL are let loose on the problem. We just need a
beginning standard that allows the cumulative brainpower loose on the issue.

--
Brian Davis