Re: Crate Contraption Standard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:58:14 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.smart, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
It's my intent to create a ball contraption standard.  People can use crates to
move balls within there own module, if they choose.  When balls are passed, they
are put into an area that matches the crates (so crates can be used) And, it
would be good to expand the standard (in the future) to allow the exchange of
crates.  But right now, the idea is just to exchange balls.

So I guess calling it a ball contraption may be better.  In fact, I kind of like
calling it "The Great Ball Contraption."  It kind of gives it a clasic feel...

I had in mind something a bit like the moonbase concept except where they have
level passage-ways between modules, a GBC module would have either one or two
two ins which include a slight down slope to encourgage balls to enter and
either one or two outs which also slope down to encourage balls to exit. The key
spec is the height of the transfer edge above the baseplate and the width. I
would propose a width which might allow the largest Lego ball, which is that
large dark grey one - I think it comes in one of the Orient sets. Then smaller
balls could cascade across the interfaces too, and be channelled or corralled as
appropriate. Actually, the sort of thing which I think would make this kind of
thing fun would be to accept any ball size and maybe do different things with
different sizes. It is very straight forward to sieve them.

JB