Re: November 18th Brikwars, Medieval Style
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 19:55:44 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Joslin writes:

Gah.

Slings.

You'll note, if you read BW2000 carefully, that slings with stones are
hands-down the best weapon in the game.  Well, that is, if you're more
concerned about point expenditure vs. effectiveness than you are about style,
anyway... and of course, being a gamer, I am that occasionally.

More to the point, my good friend Neil (you know, the guy who isn't *really* a
LEGO guy who has been at the two previous BrikWars events) is a gamer, and he
noticed this.

Gah, slings!

Neil is absolutely right of course, the slings (and the Throwing Things
rules) are way unbalanced.  Over e-mail he and I argued the matter back and
forth and came up with the following revisions:

Throwing Things:
----------------
The old formula for throwing range, ((5xPower)/Mass)+Skill" is both too
complicated and generates ranges that are much too long.  Instead, the new
formula will be updated to (Skill x Power / Mass)".  Most minifigs have 1
Power, and most thrown objects weigh 1 Blok or less, so in most cases the
range of a thrown object will simply be (Skill").

Slings:
-------
The power of slings has been dramatically reduced.  Slings will have a range
of (2xSkill"), not to exceed 10", regardless of the unit's Power.  Slings
now do 1d6 Stun damage instead of normal damage.

Sling  TL1 (2H to load) 1CP  Range(2xSkill", max 10") UR3  1d6 Stun Damage

A minifig needs space to swing a sling around, so he may not use a sling if
there is a head-high obstacle within 1".  Any time a unit makes an attack
roll with a sling and rolls a critical failure, he suffers the Ewok Effect
and hits himself in the head with the sling for 1d6 Stun damage.

Other Ranged Weapons:
Thrown Rox now do Stun damage instead of normal damage.

If you want an archery-equivalent to the sling, between the ShortBow and the
LongBow is the new MediumBow, with the following stats:

MediumBow  TL1 (2H) 2CP  Range 8" UR4  1d6 Damage, requires Quiver to load.

Does that sound good to everyone?  Bad?  Indifferent?

Of course, as with all BrikWars rules, feel free to ignore or modify these
according to personal taste; and feel free to email me any comments or
suggestions at rayhawk@artcenter.edu.

- Mike.