 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17692
Re: What would happen to your collection....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:49:33 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Stephane Simard wrote:
Good question.

Age is irrelevant.
Death can come to any of us, at any time. That car that decided to ignore that
red traffic light might just make your Lego collection suddenly without a owner.

all too true.

I have no kids, and since the majority of my collection is comprised of old,
large, discontinued sets (around 260), I would absolutely HATE for it to be
pawned off in one big lot to some "ebay punk" (thanks to the other person who
coined it first on this topic) for less than a quarter of its real value most
likely (I'd probably roll over in my grave), and like most people here, I would
prefer my collection went to someone who truly appreciated it.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Since none of my closest friends are Lego fans, I guess my collection would go
to relatives. My brother has a 6 year old boy and 3 year old girl. The boy likes
to play with Lego now and then, but at this age I doubt he would appreciate the
full scope of my vast technic collection, some with sets dating from the 70's.
Even more doubtful for my niece, who's mostly into dolls and playhouses.

So, I guess I would tell my brother and my parents, let the nephew take the sets
he wants/he's most likely to play with in the future, and sell the rest on
BRICKLINK, set by set, and the rest of my spare parts, brick by brick if they
have the time, or in one big lot if they don't.. That's the best way to get most
of the real value. Screw Feebay.

I hear that.  Though I am in a buying mood right now and am buying sets/pieces
on eBay to enhance my collection.

I was once in the mind that I didn't want my pieces to be sold on eBay *ever*,
but now considering the expanding collection in the basement, it's time to
winnow out what I don't need.  Bricklink is an alternative (I'm working on
setting up a store--honest!), but eBay is looking like another good venue.  You
can't believe how many 2x2 bricks of various colours I own that I'll *never*
use.  Better to go to cash so I can buy more of the bricks I will use.

Though all this said, it does go against my fundamental lazy nature and
eBaying/BrickLinking requires at least some effort.

Eh, we'll see what happens.

Dave K