 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17665
Re: What would happen to your collection....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 01:56:43 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Not going to be morbid or anything, but here's the scenario--

You pass on.

What happens to your LEGO collection?

Hi Dave:

Sorry to hear of your friend's passing.

This very subject has crossed my mind a few times.  As you say, with our AFOL
community aging, it will eventually become a very relevant topic.  And it is the
sort of thing we would be best off planning ahead for.

Many of the suggestions in this thread are excellent options to consider.

One additional idea I have thought of... actually it has just been an unformed
notion out of reach of my consciousness ...is that maybe we as a community might
somehow create a charity that specifically sells or auctions off collections
donated by deceased AFOL's estates.  In turn, the charity would donate funds
raised through the sales to existing charities that relate to children, playing,
imagination, or education (kind of like how the United Way divides the funds it
raises to different charity organizations).  Also, perhaps the initial donation
of the collection would warrant some tax benefit to the deceased's estate.  And
of course, an aging AFOL can choose to donate brick or sets at any time before
their death (say, if they want to retire from the hobby, see someone benefit
from their charity, and then spend their final days with their family).  ...In
theory, after enough money had been raised, the org might re-invest some of it
to developing programs and grants to raise funds through means other than just
collections of our deceased friends.

Like I said though, I have not fully formed this idea.  I have no idea how we as
a community would go about it, what legal considerations there might be, how
much work it would require, and who might actually perform that work.

But your thoughts inspired me to share mine.  If anyone out there wants to pick
up my torch and run with it, perhaps our community can have one more dimension
to it...

-Hendo