 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17653

Subject:
What would happen to your collection....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:08:50 GMT

Not going to be morbid or anything, but here's the scenario--

You pass on.

What happens to your LEGO collection?

Many of us have collections well into the thousands, and some of us have well
into the hundreds of thousands of pieces.

I'd imagine that most of us would bequeath our collection to kids/relatives, but
what if you know that no one in your family is interested in your collection?

To not put a strain on your family, you have to come up with something before
you pass on.

As well, you know that if your collection is sold in an estate auction, your
family won't get anything close to what your collection's worth.

I have these thoughts because of a situation I'm finding myself in--a friend
lost her husband and now is left with quite a large collection of LEGO bricks
and really doesn't know what to do with them.  I'm trying to help in any way I
can.  It would be nice if the collection went to another fan of the brick.
However, most of my LEGO friends already have substantial collections and/or
aren't interested in buying another huge collection.  And there is the cost--I
mean, fair market value of a collection--how do you judge that?  As well, if
it's a huge collection, who has thousands of dollars of disposable income to buy
the collection outright?  I was thinking that if a few of my LEGO friends were
to go in on this, that we could buy the collection and divide it amongst
ourselves.  But would that work?

For myself--though only 40, I've been thinking about what would happen to my 300
thousand+ collection should something happen to me--my LEGO collection being the
only thing that I own that is worth something, but it's a labour of love--so
what to do?  I would hate to see my collection just pawned off on someone, or
sold piece by piece to others.

I think that as the general population of the AFOL community ages, these types
of issues may become more prevalent.

I'm pretty thankful that my friends have voiced their concern for my collection
should I pass on.  They've stated that they'd find a 'good home' for all my
pieces :)

Dave K

Re: What would happen to your collection....
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:26:18 GMT

   Not going to be morbid or anything, but here’s the scenario--

You pass on.

What happens to your LEGO collection?

Simple. Procreate:-) Or will it to relatives with kids or who are young adults that will be having kids (assuming loose bricks)

If you are talking MOCs, they could be saved as heirlooms, or sold off on eBay.

Sad to think about; thanks, Dave. X( :-)

JOHN

Re: What would happen to your collection....
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:39:24 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, John Neal wrote:
Not going to be morbid or anything, but here's the scenario--

You pass on.

What happens to your LEGO collection?

Simple.  Procreate:-)  Or will it to relatives with kids or who are young
adults that will be having kids (assuming loose bricks)

I have plenty of younger relatives/friends that would love my collection!  My
personal issue is how to divvy it up!

If you are talking MOCs, they could be saved as heirlooms, or sold off on
eBay.

Eh, i'm not a great builder and am not particularly attached to anyhitng I've
built.

Sad to think about; thanks, Dave. X( :-)

Anything for you, John--you know that. :)

[JOHN]

Re: What would happen to your collection....
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:03:22 GMT

Not going to be morbid or anything, but here's the scenario--

You pass on.

What happens to your LEGO collection?

I'd make sure that the majority goes to the GMLTC.  Of course they'd probably be
cursing my name as they finished the sorting I never got around to doing, but
they'd have a lot more bricks to build with.

JohnG, GMLTC

Re: What would happen to your collection....