 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / * (-20)
Subject:
Brickfete - LEGO Fan Fest - July 4 & 5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.ca, lugnet.org.ca.monlug, lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.org.ca.novalug, lugnet.org.ca.obb, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment, lugnet.org.ca.quelug, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2015 15:42:56 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

LEGO fans, join us for our 5th Birthday! July 4 & 5 (10 am to 3 pm) at Delta
Toronto East (http://toronto.brickfete.com/venuelocation/)

www.toronto.brickfete.com for more info

Tickets http://toronto.brickfete.com/ticketinfo/ are on sale online until
midnight Thursday, after that tickets must be bought at the door (cash only).

VIP and Exclusive Tour ticket holders will have a chance to bid at our silent
auction for amazing LEGO items (Including a genuine Mr. Gold, Comic Con
Uni-Kitty, retired Haunted House, Death Star and more... )
See pictures on our facebook page.

Let the kids have some fun by entering our colouring contest...

http://brickfete.com/media/10517497_673185286091658_6584915652990488490_n.jpg

Tickets are on sale online until midnight Thursday, after that tickets must be
bought at the door (cash only).

We cant wait to show you what we have built!

Cheers,

The Brickfete Team

Re: Lawrence Livesey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.ca.ns, lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2010 17:38:25 GMT

In lugnet.people, Gail Meagher wrote:
   Lawrence passed away last Monday, May 17th. His obit appeared in today’s paper:

http://jobspress.com/announcements/obituaries/livesey-lawrence-james-%E2%80%94-1957-2010-vg-site-qeii

“LIVESEY, Lawrence James ââ‚Â
ââ‚
� 1957-2010, the VG Site QEII,...”

Lawrence was a founding member of NovaLUG. He got into LEGO trains from regular model railroading as he was a lousy painter. Unintentional big crashes seemed to be his favourite part of a show.

His brickshelf folder.

Gail Meagher

Gail,

Thank you for bringing this sad news to the community.

Lawerence’s Lego folder was one I watched closely for updates over the years.

Deepest condolences to his family at this time, from a fan of his creative work and involvement with his local community. I am sure he will be sorely missed by many.

Sincerely Janey Red Brick

Subject:
Lawrence Livesey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.ca.ns, lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2010 13:31:30 GMT

Lawrence passed away last Monday, May 17th. His obit appeared in today’s paper:

http://jobspress.com/announcements/obituaries/livesey-lawrence-james-%E2%80%94-1957-2010-vg-site-qeii

“LIVESEY, Lawrence James — 1957-2010, the VG Site QEII,...”

Lawrence was a founding member of NovaLUG. He got into LEGO trains from regular model railroading as he was a lousy painter. Unintentional big crashes seemed to be his favourite part of a show.

His brickshelf folder.

Gail Meagher

Re: Town/Technic MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 22:13:25 GMT

Eric Sophie wrote:
Hey I like your compact solutions for the drive and steering, well done!

Thanks, Eric.

I'm getting close to the end of my next MOC. Then, just some simple hills and
then I'm done my part for our next show. Unless of course I decided to try to
build some more cars... I really do have to get back to what I'm supposed to
be doing!

-Chris G.

Re: Town/Technic MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Sun, 2 Aug 2009 23:29:27 GMT

Hey I like your compact solutions for the drive and steering, well done!

Subject:
Town/Technic MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.technic, lugnet.town, lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:24:11 GMT

Nearly a year ago, our group, NALUG, was asked to do some displays and bus kits
for the local transit system. I ended up doing two kits and one larger model. A
few months ago, I got my "Emerald Night" train, and #8275 Power Functions
bulldozer. That gave me experience with Power Functions, and eventually got me
thinking about powering one of my buses. The one I did is a "New Flyer" low-
floor bus. Externally, it is identical to the kit that I had designed, and so
looks like a town creation. Inside, it is stuffed with Power Functions and
Technic. The big challenge was steering inside a 1x6 arch (the wheel-well).
My page on the powered bus is here:

     http://www.graysage.com/cg/Toys/Lego/ETS2008/Powered/index.html

-Chris Gray

Subject:
NALUG at Capital Ex
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 22:29:50 GMT

A small NALUG display is present at Edmonton's "Capital Ex" (used to be called
"Klondike Days") this year. This year is the centennial for the Edmonton Transit
System, so they contacted us to do something for them. We came up with a pair of
bus kits (one for kids, one for folks like bus drivers). We also have a pair of
larger scale bus models. The operating portion of the display is a single loop of
track going around a model of the original Edmonton General Hospital and 4 houses,
running a model of the old-style trolley trains.

NALUG folks will not be manning the display, but the 3 young folks there can
answer questions.

The show starts tomorrow at noon - the downtown parade is at 10 a.m.

-Chris Gray

Subject:
NALUG Royal Alberta Museum display
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 22:58:07 GMT

The year 2005 was the centennial for the province of Alberta. So, members of
NALUG built several historic structures from the local Edmonton area, to
display at the 2005 Great Edmonton Train Show. That show, and the structures,
can be seen on our show page at:

     http://www.nalug.org/TrainShow2005/index.html

Some members that have been to LegoLand say that some of our stuff is better
than the official Lego structures. Personally, I have no idea - you should all
judge for yourselves. Models on display will include the High Level bridge
(over 20 feet long, accompanied by the Light Rail Transit bridge and
river-valley scenery), the Alberta Legislature (7 foot by 10 foot, and about 4
foot high - in highly detailed tan and grey), the Hotel Macdonald (one of
Canada's older hotels, in detailed grey), the old Misericordia and Edmonton
General hospitals, Saint Joseph's college on the university campus, the
original Rossdale power plant, and a very large interior detailed model of the
current Enbridge building from downtown Edmonton.

We put a large amount of effort and pieces into these models, and we wanted to
use them more than just the one time. So, we have managed to get invited to
display the models in the Royal Alberta Museum here in Edmonton. The traveling
Lego "Under the Sea" display is at the museum now, and will be there while our
models are on display as well. The Lego display is on the main floor, and ours
will be on the second floor in a special gallery.

Our display runs from December 9 2006 to January 2 2007. The museum hours are
10 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., most days.

So, folks from all over are invited to come to Edmonton to view the display.
Let us know if you plan to visit, so we can setup get-togethers as desired. You
can post to lugnet.org.ca.nalug or email to legotrains@graysage.com .

Thanks, and hope to see some visitors,

-Chris Gray

Subject:
Searching For 2x4s
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage, lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 05:39:23 GMT

I don't have the extensive and organized storage methods that some
here make use of - just LEGO boxes from parted out sets, buckets
and tubs, using the holey plastic bags.  As time goes by (and I
move a few times) the old mental inventory gets a bit unreliable.

Today I had to find (10) sand blue 2x4s for an order, but when I
checked the tub they should have been in - twice - they weren't.

Below are the photos of my resultant searching for the next hour
or so.  I finally found them - exactly where they were supposed
to be, hiding underneath a bunch of white 2x4s.   <Sigh>   :-)

You can imagine how much help the cat was, and yes those are
light grey 1x16 beams.  I haven't found a place for them yet...

SRC     LUGNet #765
StRuCtures™  Bricksmith™
http://SRC.NorthComp.com

Subject:
Load up the LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:45:14 GMT

You know that funny look you get from people
when taking a cart full of LEGO to your car?

Try it with a Kenworth & 53' trailer...   8-)

SRC     LUGNet #765
StRuCtures™  Bricksmith™
http://SRC.NorthComp.com

Subject:
ILTCO to display at the NMRA 2005 National Train Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 02:33:26 GMT

This is huge news (that Michel and William and I have been privy to for
some time) that we can finally share with you - if you haven't already read
it on LUGNet.  The layout will be the biggest at the NMRA show - even
bigger than Supertrain2001!  The ILTCO & NMRA will introduce L-Gauge to the
large portion of the model railroading world that's still in the dark as
it were.  IMO it's the most significant thing to happen to L-Gauge since 9V
metal track.     http://news.lugnet.com/events/?n=1480      We're of course
too distant for CPLTC to take part, but if perchance any individuals would
like to participate, contact me or William or Michel or an ILTCO organizer.

SRC
LUGNet #765
Bricksmith™
http://SRC.NorthComp.com
"Christmas is a time when kids tell Santa what they want
and adults pay for it. Deficits are when adults tell the
government what they want and their kids pay for it."
-- Richard Lamm

Re: CPLTC appearance at GETS 2004 - Best in Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:09:45 GMT

just testing...

Jason

Re: CPLTC appearance at GETS 2004 - Best in Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 22:45:42 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Ben Fleskes wrote:
Most Excellent!

Who can tell me more about this hand built double switch?

http://www.nalug.org/TrainShow2004/Industrial/IndustrialCP1.JPG

Does it use standard LEGO rail or something else?

Cheers to an excellent display.

Ben Fleskes
Big Ben Bricks LLC

Snippage

Thats Kevins baby.  The railway ties are standard 2x8 plates with the studs
dremeled off (ouch!) and the rails are a standard guage available at hobby shops
in 3' or 4' lengths (IIRC).  Hopefully Kevin will spot the post and fill in
blanks.

Mike

Re: CPLTC appearance at GETS 2004 - Best in Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:55:54 GMT

Most Excellent!

Who can tell me more about this hand built double switch?

http://www.nalug.org/TrainShow2004/Industrial/IndustrialCP1.JPG

Does it use standard LEGO rail or something else?

Cheers to an excellent display.

Ben Fleskes
Big Ben Bricks LLC

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Mike Kollross wrote:
As one of the Canadian Prairie LEGO Train Clubs (CPLTC), the Northern
Alberta LEGO Users Group (NALUG) regularly appears at local model railroad
events.  This year NALUG organized a 35-foot by 22-foot LEGO train display at
the Great Edmonton Train Show on Sept 18-19, 2004. • <snip>
Mike Kollross

Re: CPLTC appearance at GETS 2004 - Best in Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:01:18 GMT

snippage

Outstanding, Mike!  Congratulations.
I've only been to Edmonton once, several years ago, but your buildings and the
High Level Bridge were easily recognized and right on.

That spiral tunnel, the hopper tipper, on and on - all are amazing!  You guys
have really put a lot of work into your layout, and it shows.

Thanks for sharing.
Ed

Thanks for the praise.  This year was our biggest display ever although I think
we've reached our maximum size. This years dislay took about 15 hours to set up
with as many as 10 people working on it (not all at once).  Thats a lot of man
hours.

Mike

Re: CPLTC appearance at GETS 2004 - Best in Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:00:41 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Mike Kollross wrote:
As one of the Canadian Prairie LEGO Train Clubs (CPLTC), the Northern
Alberta LEGO Users Group (NALUG) regularly appears at local model railroad
events.  This year NALUG organized a 35-foot by 22-foot LEGO train display at
the Great Edmonton Train Show on Sept 18-19, 2004.

NALUG was one of twenty-one model train clubs at the Mayfield Inn Trade Center
in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.  CPLTC was awarded "Best in Show" thanks to the
hard work by all the members involved.

The new LEGO creations that appeared at this show included:

      21-foot reproduction of Edmonton's High Level Bridge
      20-foot model of the adjacent LRT bridge
      17-foot suspension bridge and a dam
       9-foot model of the Enbridge Tower
      28 square foot LEGO mountain with spiral tunnel
         mindstorms-controlled ship on a 20,000-brick ocean
         large grain elevator, train station, bank and donut shop

Details of the diplay can be found here:

<http://www.CPLTC.org>

Direct link to pictures:

<http://www.nalug.org/TrainShow2004/index.html>

Mike Kollross

Outstanding, Mike!  Congratulations.
I've only been to Edmonton once, several years ago, but your buildings and the
High Level Bridge were easily recognized and right on.

That spiral tunnel, the hopper tipper, on and on - all are amazing!  You guys
have really put a lot of work into your layout, and it shows.

Thanks for sharing.
Ed

Subject:
CPLTC appearance at GETS 2004 - Best in Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:59:38 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

[...]

Re: BWBrickCon™ 2004 Draft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 23:20:18 GMT

In lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, James Brown wrote:
   In lugnet.events, Wayne R. Hussey wrote:
   As hinted at earlier, we are going to have a Draft!

Aww, our little draft is all growed up, and going to cons and everything. :)

http://www.nalug.org/Draft-011008/index.html

thanks,

James (who still thinks it’s pretty darn cool that the draft has spread so widely.)

I would just like to publicly thank James, because (although I’d read the term often as I surfed LUGNET) I had no idea what a “draft” was. I gathered sorting was involved, but I didn’t know what you did after that. You see, I teach drafting - you know, the pencils/blueprints/CAD kind - and I was picturing a bunch of people with T-squares-n-such.. LOL

So now that I know it’s a “draft” as in a SPORTS draft.. I can’t resist punning:

Ever have Draft Picks that:

.. get traded - i.e. Swap your pick for two third-round picks and a minifig to be named later

.. do great in Juniors but can’t step up to the next level

.. have Visa troubles and have to sneak into the country

.. are Primo Donnas

.. find it hard to adapt to the North American style of play

.. never develop into anything

.. end up being long-term projects

Sorry. NHL lockout withdrawal..

Darrell

Re: BWBrickCon™ 2004 Draft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 03:00:44 GMT

In lugnet.events, Wayne R. Hussey wrote:
   As hinted at earlier, we are going to have a Draft!

Aww, our little draft is all growed up, and going to cons and everything. :)

http://www.nalug.org/Draft-011008/index.html

thanks,

James (who still thinks it’s pretty darn cool that the draft has spread so widely.)

Re: Great Edmonton Train Show (GETS) this weekend
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:36:16 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Mike Kollross wrote:
This weekend, Sept 18 & 19th The Great Edmonton Train Show is being held in
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
If you are in the neighborhood drop by and check out NALUG's display this year.
The show is being held at the Mayfield Inn Trade Center, 16615-109 Avenue
(aka Mayfield Road), and runs from 10am to 5pm both days.  Admission for
adults is $6, under 18 and seniors $3, and family
(2 adults, 4 children) $12.
http://www.mmrf.ab.ca/show.htm

This will be NALUG's 5th year displaying at the show and it is our biggest yet.
The display is 40' by 25' and the theme for this year is bridges. One for
each side of the display.

This sounds really cool, I love bridges. But is this an NALUG show or an CPLTC
show? Thanks for any clarification on that you might be able to give...

This most definitely a CPLTC event but my brain is still stuck in the past.  As
clarification NALUG and SALUG are memebers of CPLTC and coordinate efforts to
put on displays in both Edmonton and Calgary (and Loydminister).  I was a
memeber of NALUG first so that's what my brain defaults to.  Thanks for picking
up on that Lar.

Mike

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact