 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / *738 (-10)
Re: Great Edmonton Train Show (GETS) this weekend
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:48:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Kollross wrote:
This weekend, Sept 18 & 19th The Great Edmonton Train Show is being held in
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
If you are in the neighborhood drop by and check out NALUG's display this year.
The show is being held at the Mayfield Inn Trade Center, 16615-109 Avenue
(aka Mayfield Road), and runs from 10am to 5pm both days.  Admission for
adults is $6, under 18 and seniors $3, and family
(2 adults, 4 children) $12.
http://www.mmrf.ab.ca/show.htm

This will be NALUG's 5th year displaying at the show and it is our biggest yet.
The display is 40' by 25' and the theme for this year is bridges. One for
each side of the display.

This sounds really cool, I love bridges. But is this an NALUG show or an CPLTC
show? Thanks for any clarification on that you might be able to give...

Subject:
Great Edmonton Train Show (GETS) this weekend
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.loc.ca.ab, lugnet.announce
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:12:44 GMT

This weekend, Sept 18 & 19th The Great Edmonton Train Show is being held in
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
If you are in the neighborhood drop by and check out NALUG's display this year.
The show is being held at the Mayfield Inn Trade Center, 16615-109 Avenue
(aka Mayfield Road), and runs from 10am to 5pm both days.  Admission for
adults is $6, under 18 and seniors $3, and family
(2 adults, 4 children) $12.
http://www.mmrf.ab.ca/show.htm

This will be NALUG's 5th year displaying at the show and it is our biggest yet.
The display is 40' by 25' and the theme for this year is bridges. One for
each side of the display.

The longest is a minifig scale model of the High Level bridge in Edmonton.
The bridge is a double deck Truss Bridge and the model is 25'+ in length.

Also on the layout is a 15'+ suspension bridge, also with a vehicle deck and it
sits in place over an ocean of blue LEGO that is 20,000+ and a operating
lighthouse.

The third bridge, or bridges, is a pair of trestle bridges with a dam in the
background with sculpted valley and waterfall.

The final bridge is a working bascule bridge with automated lift and train power
control via an RCX.

In between the bridges there will be a grain loading terminal, rotary dumper,
train station, high rises, numerous town buildings and an industrial park.

Come check it out.

Subject:
The Vancouver LEGO club at Science World in Vancouver, BC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.sealug, lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.org.scibrick, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.loc.us.or, lugnet.loc.ca.bc, lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.org.ca.viclug, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:02:32 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hello Fellow brick fetishists!

There is a very good chance that the Vancouver Lego Club will be exhibiting its
talents at Science World ( http://scienceworld.ca ) in the spring of 2005.  We
are very keen on involving some of the surrounding area groups, if they would
like to make the visits up to Vancouver.  The exhibit will be approximately 13
weekends, so there is a tremendous amount of flexibility.  However, some of the
thoughts that we have had are as follows:

- Other club's display of MOCs,
- Vancouver versus Seattle ISD build competition (CANAM)-- who can build the
Star Destroyer the fastest? Maybe even break the world record?

It would also be a great opportunity to just get together and hangout.  If you
have any ideas, or if you are interested participating in the above, please
email me directly.  Thanks very much.

Again, please email me directly.

Dean
VLC

Subject:
NALUG show pictures at GETS 2003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:04:30 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

We finally have organized the pictures people
took of NALUG's train layout at the
Great Edmonton Model Train Show in late 2003.

<http://www.nalug.org/TrainShow2003/>

Highlights include:

    * new DCC system
    * transfer table
    * working Bascule bridge
    * rotary hopper dumper

Kudos to Kevin Maynes for organizing a great layout.

Enjoy!

--
John Koob
New email (remove block):

NALUG
Northern Alberta LEGO Users Group
Canada

Subject:
www.CPLTC.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.announce
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 03:22:27 GMT

The latest/newest LTC website is now available:  http://www.cpltc.org/

Not so much a new LTC as a smaller umbrella within the larger
ILTCO umbrella - assuming our application is approved.  We invite
you to visit and see for yourself.  Your comments are appreciated.

SRC   #765
StRuCtures(tm)
Guild of Bricksmiths(tm)
http://SRC.NorthComp.com
"Only a life lived for others is a life worth while ."
Albert Einstein

Subject:
LEGOilsands Event
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 03:50:53 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

There's more oil in the oil-sands of northern Alberta than in all
of Saudi Arabia and the Oil Sands Discovery Centre along with
APEGGA has a "LEGO Engineering" event each year.  This year
they were hoping to have a "kid-friendly" LEGO expert drive up
and present.  As I'm a Bricksmith(tm) and the theme this year was
bridges, I was the perfect fit, and right around the time we were
discussing details Jake McKee announced the LEGO event kits.
He sent me one - Thanks Jake! - and I drove up last weekend.

If the chants of "LEGO - LEGO" were any indication, the kids had
a blast!  I gave my initial LEGO presentation (with emphasis on
trusses and my bridge kit as the featured example) and then the
kids built their own LEGO bridges.  While the judges were doing
their thing I presented over 650 slides showing the most amazing
LEGO creations I could find - most of the shots were from NALUG
events or the nine other websites I've linked to.  I also added
photos of the event to my gallery.  I had a great time, and it
was great to see Fort McMurray again after being away for a decade.

Now that the Brickshelf link has cleared, my site is ready for
anyone who is interested...     http://src.northcomp.com

SRC
"Only a life lived for others is a life worth while ."
Albert Einstein

Re: The 2003 Great Edmonton Model Train Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:58:25 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Kevin Maynes wrote:
NALUG will be participating again this year, in what will be
our fourth layout in a row for the Edmonton show. Some of the
features of this year's layout include:
a repeat appearance of the motorized bascule bridge;
actual cargo being moved with Lego trains, using both a working
loader and a working rotary dumper;
an automated self-operating trolley, running amongst
renditions of some of Edmonton's Old Strathcona/Whyte Avenue
area buildings; and as always, much much more!

With work today and tomorrow I was only able to swing by briefly
this AM - It's a great setup/layout.  The DCC seemed to be working!
I liked the pump-jacks (a must have for Alberta me thinks) and the
giant storage tank (and refinery towers).  The Whyte Ave. buildings
were recognizable as such - a credit to their builders.  I overheard
a lady telling her friend "That's the building I used to work in!"

Those not able to attend in person can look forward to official photos.

SRC   #765
http://capt-acap.org/src/
http://bricksmiths.com/
http://www.cpltc.org/

Subject:
The 2003 Great Edmonton Model Train Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.loc.ca.ab, lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:43:45 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

This Weekend!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

The Mainline Model Railroaders Fellowship is holding their annual train show
this very weekend, September 20-21 2003. If you're in the neighbourhood, please
drop by and check it out! It's located at the Mayfield Inn Trade Center,
16615-109 Avenue (aka Mayfield Road), and runs from 10am to 5pm both days.
Admission for adults is $5, under 18 and seniors $3, and family (2 adults, 4
children) $10.

NALUG will be participating again this year, in what will be our fourth layout
in a row for the Edmonton show. Some of the features of this year's layout
include:

a repeat appearance of the motorized bascule bridge;

actual cargo being moved with Lego trains, using both a working loader and

a working rotary dumper;

an automated self-operating trolley, running amongst

renditions of some of Edmonton's Old Strathcona/Whyte Avenue area buildings;

and as always, much much more!

See you there!

Re: Saturday General Session Announcements
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.events.brickswest, lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:26:50 GMT

<snip>

Why Portland????

What possible draw is Portland????

To me the draw of BW was LLCA!!  I'm not one of those 'same old, same old', but
I can understand that feeling.  To be fair, another draw IS the store/being able
to buy sets there as well as the pick-a-brick.  Also (to me anyway) is the
ability to extend my vacation to Disneyland if I felt like it.

A lot of what I have read in this thread seems petty(ie. the thought of taking
it away from Southern California...oh the horror!!).  BUT, there have been some
good points...why Portland when only a few months earlier in the (roughly)same
geographic area there will be NWBrick Con???

I can understand the...frustration of no answers at all regarding BW from those
who know, but it would be nice to know/understand the why/why not...

Bah...

ATM, the only Con (to me anyways) worth saving money for is next years
Brickfest.  I have been there before, was looking forward to going to BW for the
attraction of the park and the store, but see now reason to go to NWB (no
offense meant against the organizers/attendees of it).

If I am left with the choice of Portland, NWB, or BF...I will choose BF as to me
it is the one to attend, and has a Lego store we can go to.  Some of my comments
won't sound right/won't come out right, but coming from Edmonton(Alberta) and
having to convert my money into USD, I will honestly choose where is likely to
give me the most bang for my buck (and sadly, Portland is not it).

Jason Krish

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Steve Barile announced LFPDX 2004

Correction, that was the internal code name! Here is more detail:

As most of you know, BricksWest was held in mid February in both 2002 and
2003... unfortunately BricksWest will not be able to continue next year.

Rather than lose momentum, Steve Barile and others in the community got together
and discussed what could be done. After consultation with BrickEvents LLC, they
are happy to announce that the offical name will be "BrickFest PDX 2004"

Re: visit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:18:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, James Brown wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Martin Legault wrote:
Hello,

I know it is a short notice and it is vacation time but I'll be in Edmonton
Wednesday and Thursday next week (July 16th and 17). I would like to meet you,
do you think that is migth be possible?

We should be able to figure something out. :)

I've forwarded your note to our mailing list to see how who's available.  If
nothing else, I'll be home on the evening on the 17th, and you're welcome to
come by (I'd meet you somewhere, but I've got the kids on Thursdays, and they're
easier to keep track of at home).

James

Hi James,

Are other people available for a get together or it will be just the 2 of us?
I'll be downtown and will have a car. I'll will also have access to the net
while in Edmonton.

regards,
Martin

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact