 Off-Topic / Geek / 750
Re: Scheduled downtime: Monday, December 6, 1999
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 21:16:04 GMT

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999 17:42:10 GMT, "Richard Franks"
<spontificus@__nospam__yahoo.com> wrote:

Semaphore flags would have been a faster means of communication earlier this
afternoon! :)

Don't you just love the semaphore system? It was ahead of it's time..

20 years before the invention of the telegraph, they set up entire
lines of semaphore stations. I've seen a minor one in France, part of
the Paris-Lyon line. Tres cool.

I'd just like to mention: Pavane series, by (IIRC) Keith Roberts.
Read it, if you can ever find it. (originally published in the UK as a
series of 5 shorts in an SF mag, which is where I read it decades
after the mag was published)

Quick search on Google (God, I love them!) reveals that my memory
isn't failing yet:

http://www.silcom.com/~manatee/roberts_pavane.html

Jasper

Message is in Reply To:
  Re: Scheduled downtime: Monday, December 6, 1999

(...) Semaphore flags would have been a faster means of communication earlier this afternoon! :) Richard (24 years ago, 7-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)