 Off-Topic / Fun / 10846
Re: Profanity again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:37:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler wrote:
In practice I wouldn't have a problem with it, because I generally don't
resort to profanity and wouldn't therefore have to worry about any
word-substitution in my posts.

That and without a way to edit posts, typos can make it look like you swore. I
found a few accidental typos while searching for swears the other day. Things
like someone who misspelled "cut" by inserting an extra letter. Also you've got
to worry about partial-word-swears like .. uh... trying to think of a good
one... like "shiitake mushrooms", although that's a bad one since to spell it
correctly, you're not swearing...

Cute, but I'd have to wonder how people have formed their opinion of clone
brands sufficient to rate them relative to each other.  I'd guess that
MEGABLOKS would probably rate the "worst" just because that's the most
recognized brand. In fact, Ultra-Blox is objectively of far worse quality,
but how many LEGO purists have familiarity with that brand?

I'd have to agree. MegaBloks is by far the most known. Things like Best-Lock,
Shifty, Loc-Blocks, Tyco, etc. are less known (although Best-Lock might make a
bid for 2nd place after MB).

How would you define "clone brands"? Something that's intended to be compatible
with Lego? Or just any interlocking studded brick system? Cuz there are probably
(I assume?) some totally non-compatible brands that are pretty bad quality.

I know I've seen a page about clone brands before-- how many are out there that
are actually compatible? Do any sites out there compare quality of clone brands?

I have the feeling that this should be FUT'ed, but I don't know to where.
Suggestions?

I'm leaning towards l.o-t.c-b... [1]

DaveE

[1] an anagram for "bloct". Sheesh. Mega"Blok", "bloct". These cloners can't
spell worth beenz.