 Off-Topic / Fun / 10841
Re: Profanity again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:06:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, David Eaton wrote:

(snipped Lester entirely, and most of what David said)

   I always figured it’d be funny to replace people’s swears automatically on the server.

IIRC classic-castle.com has implemented just such a mechanism in their chat, everything profane that the filter substitutes for gets turned into “MegaBloks”. It’s actually rather amusing, just as you surmise it would be.

Also IIRC the site admins refine the filter based on observed behaviour.