 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2287
Re: Profanity again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:24:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, David Eaton wrote:

How would you define "clone brands"? Something that's intended to be compatible
with Lego? Or just any interlocking studded brick system? Cuz there are probably
(I assume?) some totally non-compatible brands that are pretty bad quality.

Well, it's only my opinion, but I'd suggest that a "true" clone brand is based
on the studs-and-tubes system and is able to maintain reasonable clutch power
with LEGO bricks and plates.  I used to consider the 3:1 plate:brick height
ratio to be an important factor, but Tyco and MEGABLOKS have both used a
successful 2:1 ratio, so that's out the window.

However, to my knowledge every compatible clone brand uses the 2x4 brick, so we
might propose a more detailed classification based on this nature of this brick
for each brand:

1.  Compatible Clone Brand:  The clone 2x4 brick matches the LEGO 2x4
    brick in size and proportion, within a certain nebulously defined
    threshold (microns, or what-have-you).  This includes Tyco and
    MEGABLOKS, for example.
2.  Competitor Clone Brand:  Adheres to the general interlocking brick
    format but is not truly compatible because of differences in height
    or proportion.  May or may not work with LEGO to some extent.
    Examples include Tente, Best-Lock, MEGABLOKS Nano, ATCO, and Loc-Bloc
3.  Construction Toys:  Designed to be wholly separate from LEGO and are
    only incidentally compatible, if at all.  Lincoln Logs, K'Nex, Tinker
    Toy, and the like are included in this group.

I know I've seen a page about clone brands before-- how many are out there that
are actually compatible? Do any sites out there compare quality of clone brands?

Joseph Gonzalez maintained an excellent repository of information until he
entrusted it to me, since which time it has languished in html limbo.  Here's a
brief list of compatible clone brands in what I consider to be decreasing order
of plastic quality, though my studies have hardly been exhaustive.  Other
factors, such as cleverness of set design or piece:price value, are not factored
in:

Tyco, Coko, Larami, Oxford, Blok-Tek (there is evidence that these companies
      have had access to the same molding equipment, so the degree of
      separation between these companies is unclear.  There is some clear
      overlap, but other aspects, such as minifig design are distinct between
      brands)
Byggis
Qubo
Hasbro's Built-To-Rule
Cobi, Block-Men (both have access to the same molding equipment, but not the
      same molds or brick-types as Tyco et al)
C3 (currently in use by Mini-Mates for the Justice League line of sets)
Tandem (includes Intelli-Blox)
MEGABLOKS
Brick, Shifty (may be a single company and may have some affiliation with
      Coko, but the link is uncertain and difficult to confirm.  Both of these
      brands are generally of much lower quality than Coko, and the brands
      have violated LEGO's patent on numerous brick designs.
Ultra-Blox, Bricks By The Pound (really low quality plastic, kind of like
      the plastic used in kiddie-pool toys.

There are others, but these are the ones that spring to mind first for me.

Dave!