 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2288
Re: Profanity again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:49:40 GMT

Hello,

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
   Tyco, Coko, Larami, Oxford, Blok-Tek (there is evidence that these companies have had access to the same molding equipment, so the degree of separation between these companies is unclear. There is some clear overlap, but other aspects, such as minifig design are distinct between brands)

Regarding Dave’s comment on the distinction of minifig designs between brands; I have taken the liberty to do a rough comparison of the actual differences between an Oxford minifig and a Lego one. I am posting it here as it contains some big images.

Another interesting point is that, if you look at this thread, you’ll see that not even Lego has a consistent mold regarding its own minifigs (Han Solo’s acute torso vs. Harry Potter’s rounder one). I’m still pondering as to why this is, so if anyone has any information I’d appreciate their sharing.

Finally, on my main site (http://www.redbeanstudio.net), I’ve compiled a list of all the known (and working) websites of all the so-called ‘clone brands’ (it can be found in the link section). I’ll appreciate it very much also if anyone can point out if I’m missing anything. Oh, btw, I tend to classify clone brand by the usability of its accessories by a Lego minifig, and the accessories have to be made in hard ABS plastics (thus ruling out Kubricks). Thank you.

Red Bean