 Off-Topic / Fun / 10840
Re: Profanity again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:36:27 GMT

In lugnet.admin.terms, Lester Witter wrote:
   Perhaps we could have implictly undestord code word substitutes for certain rude words. For example blasphous exclaimations could be replaced by “MegaBlok” and of couese, the word in question by “bley” (also a four letters) or the alternative (“blay”) :-)

I always figured it’d be funny to replace people’s swears automatically on the server. So if someone swore, their text would quickly get turned into something a bit tamer. Something like:

s/freaking/buttermilk buscuit/gi s/bullpoop/muffin/gi

That way you’d get people saying things like:

“Well, what kind of buttermilk buscuit moron doesn’t know what ‘buttermilk buscuit’ really means? I love the backpedalling into euphemisms...

My advice: say what you buttermilk buscuit mean and leave the muffin at the door!”

Not that I’d actually advocate doing it, but it’d teach people quickly to stop swearing (or more likely would teach them to find backdoors and swear in nonconventional manners).

DaveE