 Local / United States / Minnesota / Minneapolis/St. Paul / *220 (-20)
Subject:
Interesting places to visit in Minneapolis?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 06:00:04 GMT

Hi folks,

It appears I'll be visiting Minneapolis in a week or so.  Is there anything
a Lego enthusiast would find interesting to visit?  I understand there is a
Lego store in the Mall of America-my coworkers in Minnetonka have already
said this should be a major stop.

Calum

Re: Next TCLUG meeting.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 04:18:21 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp, Mark Nelson writes:
Greetings!

This is a general reminder to all the Followers of Lego in Twin Cities and
surrounding communities that we are meeting again on Friday, January 11th,
at (start time) 6:30-7:30 and ? for end time.  If you haven't heard of the
TCLUG and are interested in coming and checking it out, please email me at
brian.kasprzyk@westgroup.com.  He can give you instructions on how to get there.

Alright, some corrections to my post. (Can you tell I did cut and paste from
Brian K's post?)

According to plans, it will be held on the 11th. But that might change.

--
Mark Nelson

Subject:
Next TCLUG meeting.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 18:36:17 GMT

Greetings!

This is a general reminder to all the Followers of Lego in Twin Cities and
surrounding communities that we are meeting again on Friday, January 11th,
at (start time) 6:30-7:30 and ? for end time.  If you haven't heard of the
TCLUG and are interested in coming and checking it out, please email me at
brian.kasprzyk@westgroup.com.  He can give you instructions on how to get there.

I hope to see you there!

--
Mark Nelson
LCC Command: http://www.ozbricks.com/speedy/lcccommand/

Subject:
Anyone need the $50 off coupon for 1349 Movie Maker Set?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 15:57:06 GMT

The one from the recent Mania Mag.  It expires 12/31 so there's no time to
mail it to anyone but if you're local we can arrange to get it into your
hands.  Email me or call - I'm the only John A. in the book.

Happy New Year!

John

Subject:
New Train Club Founded-- Twin Cities LEGO Train Club (TCLTC)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 03:16:07 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Although I am a member of the Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club, I am
forming a sister club called the Twin Cities LEGO Train Club.  This club
will differ from the GMLTC in that it will be a truly modular club, with
members providing their own modules to form the layout.

The format will be similar to the GMLTC's previous layout, with modules
being 30" x 45", and all built up from LEGO.  I have enough modules
started from my home layout to provide a minimum sized layout (7.5' x
10'), making it pretty easy to grow the layout as new members come in.

And speaking of prospective members, let me say this.  Although this
will be a train club, I would like to emphasis that this will be a
*LEGO* train club.  I say that because what I want are members who want
to make really cool modules, in whatever theme they want.  If trains
don't fit in well with your scheme, then we can run the track through
the back of your modules underground.  I am envisioning modules which
would double as dioramas at home, or home dioramas which would double as
layout modules.

Since I am in the process of changing ISPs, setting up a new computer,
and setting up a web site, progress might be a little slow, but I hope
to have "in-progress" pics, layout plans, etc. out in the next month or
so.  For now, you can check out our logo:

If you are in the MSP area and think you might want to be a part of
this, drop me a line at john@tcltc.org (my @uswest.net days are
numbered...)

-John

Re: LOM Encounter Truck Tour postcard for MN LIC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp, lugnet.events
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 20:45:55 GMT

John, the LOM truck isn't actually at the LIC, but in one of the Mall
parking lots (the north lot I believe.) I will be at the truck on Friday
representing the MOA LIC and be assiting the trucks staff. So, if you want
to meet me I'll be there and will be easy to find with the LEGO uniform and
name tag.

-Brett

In lugnet.general, John Radtke writes:
Here are some scans of the postcard I rec'd for the LOM Truck Tour coming to
the Mall of America LEGO Imagination Center in August.

Follow-up as appropriate.

John

Subject:
LOM Encounter Truck Tour postcard for MN LIC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp, lugnet.events
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 00:17:33 GMT

Here are some scans of the postcard I rec'd for the LOM Truck Tour coming to
the Mall of America LEGO Imagination Center in August.

Follow-up as appropriate.

John

Re: User Groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:47:37 GMT

Jamie Dunn <cowrack@yahoo.com> wrote:

wondering if there is an active LUG in the twin cities that is accepting new
members.

The only regularly active group I'm aware of here is the GMLTC, which meets
once a week.  Unfortunately, as posted recently in .trains, we're starting
to have problems stuffing the number of people showing up into the
available space.

We did have a more general get-together almost two years ago, which would
be good to do again sometime.

Steve
--
Barb & Steve Demlow  |  demlow@visi.com  |  www.visi.com/~demlow/

Subject:
User Groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 00:45:58 GMT

Folks,
   I know there has been quite a bit of discussion lately about user groups,
policies, membership, etc., but (and not to stir the kettle!!) I was
wondering if there is an active LUG in the twin cities that is accepting new
members.  I know I would like to do more, and I have time (maby not as much
time as I would like though :) ), space, and most important, at least what I
consider, a bunch of lego :).  Again, I intend no disrepect towards anyone
out there, I was just wondering.

Thanks
Jamie

Re: Shopping question.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 11:07:04 GMT

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 07:01:58 GMT, Steve Demlow <demlow@visi.com>
wrote:

Brian Olmstead <kleric@visi.com> wrote:

First off, how many local MSP Lugneeers(??) do we have reading this?

I can think of at least 20 AFOLs here in the Cities.  Not all of them read
Lugnet tho.  A bit of trivia: Todd Lehman (co-founder of Lugnet) used to
live here as well.

Secondly, what stores to people typically shop at up here in the Twincities? I
always hit Targets, TRUs, and if I'm at the MOA the KB store and of course the
LEGO store. Any other bastions of LEGo I should know about?

You can also try Zany Brainy, Toy Works, Tuesday Morning, and Big Lots.  The
latter two are closeout stores and may or may not have any Lego stock at any
given time.

Overall the Twin Cities is a pretty good place to live Lego-wise, although
there is getting to be quite a bit of competition for clearance Lego. :)

Steve

You missed the K's Kohl's and K Mart (well such as K Mart is, they
have more regular BOGO sales than the others) Kohl's had the Chrome
Knight Kingdom sets and has sales every so often.

Oh and Wal Mart occasionally has some good deals, I've that they are
opening 2 new stores, Elk River and Maple Grove? forgot the exact
locations, but definitely 2 new stores, soon I think.

There always has been competition, you just never knew whom it was,
:^)  plus there are the 'unwashed masses' (AKA non AFOL's or Lugnetter
types always looking for the cheap sets to contend with also)
I didn't get much clearance LEGO this year at all, a couple of Star
Wars sets and a small Castle set, it just wasn't around when I was
shopping...

Oh if you are into Castle or Spaceport themes watch your local grocery
stores, I've seen Roboriders at Cub and 1269 White Ninjas and a small
HTO spaceport set at RainBow foods.  Someone had seen some a while
back but I saw them for the first time at my local Rainbow a couple of
days ago.

If you really want to have an idea of who on Lugnet is in the Twin
Cities, browse the old posts in this group, most are by local
residents (or former residents :^)   A few are by passer by's or such.

Mike
--
All other themes are just spare parts for Castle! :^)

Re: Shopping question.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 07:01:58 GMT

[...]

Subject:
Shopping question.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 18:15:24 GMT

Just curious of a couple things.
First off, how many local MSP Lugneeers(??) do we have reading this? Always
kind of wondered. I've been readin' Lugnet since my return from the Dark Age a
couple years ago(late '98).

Secondly, what stores to people typically shop at up here in the Twincities? I
always hit Targets, TRUs, and if I'm at the MOA the KB store and of course the
LEGO store. Any other bastions of LEGo I should know about? Always love findin'
new places to spend too much money at.
Thanks!

-Brian

Re: Chrome sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 03:42:49 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp, Mike Timm writes:
I have found some of the Chrome Knights Kingdom sets at local
stores....
The Zainy Brainy in Edina had some (only a couple of 4819's now :^),
also the one in MapleGrove had some (should be all gone atm :^)  I
haven't hit the other two ZB's around here..
I also found a few at the MapleGrove Kohl's (now empty), the Brooklyn
Center and Knollwood Kohl's didn't have any when checked :^(
(Need more shiny helmets :^O err  :^)
I found some chrome sets at kohls in maplewood mall over the weekend.  And
as an added bonus they were 20% off.  Worked for me, I bought my four, built
my suit of armor, and was happy for the remainder of the weekend

Adam

Subject:
Chrome sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 02:33:12 GMT

I have found some of the Chrome Knights Kingdom sets at local
stores....
The Zainy Brainy in Edina had some (only a couple of 4819's now :^),
also the one in MapleGrove had some (should be all gone atm :^)  I
haven't hit the other two ZB's around here..
I also found a few at the MapleGrove Kohl's (now empty), the Brooklyn
Center and Knollwood Kohl's didn't have any when checked :^(
(Need more shiny helmets :^O err  :^)

Also the TRU in Brooklyn Center is closing and has changed into a 'Toy
Clearance Store', LEGO was 20% when I was there, they are going to be
putting ads in the Thursday Mpls Star Tribunes...

Mike
--
All other themes are just spare parts for Castle! :^)

Subject:
LEGO sets at Rainbow Foods
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:32:06 GMT

I've never seen LEGO in a grocery store before but I guess there's a first
time for everything.  The Lake & Minnehaha Rainbow Foods has some small sets
near the entrance with other toys and Christmas stuff.

of interest:
1265  Moon Buggy http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1265
1268  Bike Blaster http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1268
1269  {White Ninja} http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1269
1271  Jungle Surprise http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1271

several of each except for the single White Ninja which I grabbed.  Also
some Throwbots which I didn't take closer note of.

Drive over and get them while they last.

John

Re: LEGO Displays at Mall of America
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:25:52 GMT

I have a few here, I know there are other folks with pictures.

http://www.gmlug.org/foster/tour/index.html

Wilson Raska wrote:

I don't usually frequent this newsgroup, so I don't know if this has been
posted before, but has anyone ever taken pictures of the minifig-scale
displays at the MOA?  You know, the ones that revolve around in the large
cylinders.  These are probably my favorite thing to look at when I go to the
mall, but that doesn't happen very often, seeing as how I live in Montana.
But if anyone has any pictures of them, I'd be happy to see them.

Wilson

Subject:
LEGO Displays at Mall of America
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 19:23:00 GMT

I don't usually frequent this newsgroup, so I don't know if this has been
posted before, but has anyone ever taken pictures of the minifig-scale
displays at the MOA?  You know, the ones that revolve around in the large
cylinders.  These are probably my favorite thing to look at when I go to the
mall, but that doesn't happen very often, seeing as how I live in Montana.
But if anyone has any pictures of them, I'd be happy to see them.

Wilson

Subject:
3412, 3413, 3414 @ Kohl's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 01:12:34 GMT

I found the three newer football/soccer sets at the checkout of Kohl's across
from Rosedale Mall this afternoon.  They were stickered at $4.99 each - but
all Lego were 25% off today ($3.74 each for 3412, 3413,
& 3414); Unfortunately, I don't know how long this sale will last...

Re: When was GMLTC started? (was: Re: For the history books -- LUG & LTC dates of formation)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 02:31:07 GMT

I don't think I've ever more agreed with Larry  <grin>

October 1992 or 1994 was when John G and I started to build with Conan and
Chuck.  John G a little sooner than I, it was right about the time that Conan
came to work at the Lego Imagination Center and we met them.  Since Conan
lived in a house with a few other guys, the gathering was informal, but
frequent.

(Year date is different because I don't remember if I was already married or
not.  Oct 93 was in CT as a model builder, cuz that was the year I got
married.)

-John
emails should go to jkelly3@yahoo.com, the other email is just a refuge for
spam, I never check it.

In lugnet.org, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.org, Todd Lehman writes:

I guess what I'm looking for is the exact date on which GMLTC started calling
itself GMLTC (i.e., that it became that entity, however informally) and also,
if known, the date on which people in the Twin Cities (those who initially
founded GMLTC) started congregating and saying, "Hey, we should make a thing
of this."

Why exactly? (both senses...) That is, exactly why do you need to know this,
and why does it have to be exact? Would the year be good enough? GMLTC started
from one guy and his uncle who loved LEGO and grew from there. It's the
granddaddy of all LEGO train clubs, leave it at that. Not dissing PNLTC, they
were a clear second historically, and more organised sooner, but they are two
different beasts.

Like John G. said, most GMLTCers could care less (but not very much less)
about promotion, names, club structure, details, they just want to build. The
notable exceptions are John 8wide Neal and myself. We do it mostly for fun,
and I'm only an adjunct member, haven't been to a building session in almost a
year now. <sigh> It was in part 8wide that caused the club even to have a name
and a logo in the first place. That happend well before there was any
statements of club existance on RTL or LUGNET.

My 1.3 pence. (in the lounge at DTW awaiting my LGW flight to be called so
I'll think in Sterling, ok?)

++Lar

Re: When was GMLTC started? (was: Re: For the history books -- LUG & LTC dates of formation)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 23:40:39 GMT

In lugnet.org, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Why exactly? (both senses...) That is, exactly why do you need to know this,
and why does it have to be exact?

I doesn't have to be exact if there isn't an exact date.  I think in most
cases there are exact dates...it's just that I'd prefer to know exact dates
if at all possible.  If not, that's OK too.

--Todd

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact