 LEGOLAND / California / 753
Re: More ISD Building Fun...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 02:13:50 GMT

In lugnet.legoland.california, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

   The build at Celebration III was a bit different from other speed builds, because about half the team members were not AFoLs, and table/building space was VERY limited.

Although limited tablespace may not have been a complete downside - it also ment that in almost all cases, the part you needed was somewhere within reach.

   Our final build, was very easy, because we all knew what parts were required, and how things fit.

We also knew where the parts were likely to be even without sorting. Our layout for people remained the same for the last two builds, which ment that the likely layout for parts (i.e.- what bag got to what part of the table) was semi-consistant. I would strongly suggest splitting the friction pins and the blue “stud” pins at the start roughly evenly between the folks building the frame and the folks building the lower bridge.

   Several of the teams we went against did a wonderful job of sorting pieces.

   The thing that slowed us the most was the lower bridge & it’s kibble. That was the last thing complete on every build. We had two builders on that, and it still ran slow. Maybe three would be good.

Honestly, that may also have to do with the builders in question (I was one of them, so I feel I can speak on this). Finding parts for the lower bridge was tough at times, and the kibble can’t easily be built in advance (it’s all different, and on different pages). You *can* parallel the process a good bit: there are a number of independant (& mirrored) sub-sections that can be built ahead of the main lower bridge core, which *could* speed up the process considerably. We tried this on the first build, and I still think it’s a good approach... but not on a single 4x8 foot table, which is why we switched.

-- Brian Davis