 LEGOLAND / California / 750
Re: More ISD Building Fun...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california, lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:03:11 GMT

In lugnet.legoland.california, Jake McKee wrote:
   I just received this note from a colleague at LEGOLAND California.

Personally, I’m wondering if the West Coast AFOLs have the chops to beat the always impressive NELUG...

Not being from the east coast OR the west coast, I really don’t care who holds the record, as long as we can keep in in the US! :)

   During this weekend event, we’ll attempt to break the current record of 54 minutes and 22 seconds held by the members of the New England LEGO Users Group (NELUG).

(The Final Build Time set last weekend during Star Wars Celebration III in Indianapolis was 1 hour 23 minutes!)

The build at Celebration III was a bit different from other speed builds, because about half the team members were not AFoLs, and table/building space was VERY limited.

However, being a veteran of four ISD speed builds (three were less than a week ago), I MAY be able to offer some advice.

Our final build, was very easy, because we all knew what parts were required, and how things fit. There were several times when I built sub-assemblies without even looking. It may be a good idea to make the first day a “pratice” run, where you don’t really worry about the time.

In our build, we had a few people getting parts, and the rest were building. In most cases I was able to provide parts for the structure as fast as Jason could build two of the triangles. On our last build, we just dumped all the beams, friction pins, blue pins & some other required pieces into one of the white boxes, and Jason pulled them from there.

Several of the teams we went against did a wonderful job of sorting pieces. In fact, a couple still have very neat piles, when we were done with our build. I’d suggest one or two sort the small stuff, while other start right away.

One builder started on kibble (as my wife calls it) right away. By the time the structure was done, and had legs, that kibble was ready. The thing that slowed us the most was the lower bridge & it’s kibble. That was the last thing complete on every build. We had two builders on that, and it still ran slow. Maybe three would be good.

Good luck

Steve